Chapter 2

(Tori)

I wake up to Rinkaji in my face. It must be morning. It must be early too, because when I sit up to look around, everyone is sleeping. The sun slowly rises on the horizon as we prepare ourselves for the ceremony.

"They're still sleeping, right?"

"Yeah." I hear her voice from the bunk next to mine slightly muffled. The first rays of sunlight stream in through the window, as I button my shirt to the top.

Rinkaji and I meet at the door, while the cadets start to wake up, one by one. Marcus is the last to get up. Rinkaji pulled on her Training Corps jacket and opens the door.

I follow her silently onto the porch, and the cabin creaks as we walk down the old stairs. A tall figure waits for the cadets.

"The Kimotis are the first once again." Keith sighs, as we get into position. The top ten were about to be announced. The cadets come running out of the building just as I think of it.

"You ready?" I ask Maggie.

"Of course I am... not" She says and I turn to her.

Keith coughs before speaking "Cadets," he starts "This is the day you will decide your fate, in the Garrison, the Military Police, or the Scouting Legion."

My hands start to sweat, and I can feel the heat of the sun on the back of my head. Marcus shifts on the other side of myself, yawning nonchalantly. I turn and glare, before looking back at Keith, as he took out a piece of paper with the standings on them.

"The cadet who was selected for first place, is Marcus Cens." He informs us, and everyone turns to glare. He swaggers over to the spot for first place.

"Now, for the first time ever, tied for second place, Maggie and Victoria Kimoti." Keith says with a hand gesture towards us.

"We did it, Chimoshiki!" I hear Maggie tell me, and we excitedly make our way to the line.

Marcus looks over to us, glaring. I looked over, satisfied by his reaction. The rest of the cadets seemed stunned by the tie.

The rest of the top ten, now eleven, is called. I look over the head of Keith and see three cloaked people coming over. I was able to make out Commander Erwin, head of the Scouting Legion, and Dot Pixis, head of the Garrison, and Nile Dok of the MPs, which we were to join. Saluting Keith, Nile Dok began to inspect the top ten carefully, stopping when Commander Erwin spoke.

"You," he began, pointing at Marcus, "would be a good addition to the Survey Corps."

"Old man, you must be stupid. I'm joining the Military Police." Marcus says rudely. My face turns bright red in astonishment.

"I plan to stay alive, not be a useless corpse under your insufficient command," Marcus finishes.

"Commander Erwin, I'm sorry, Marcus has a bit of an... attitude..." I say immediately, and his eyes move down the line to me.

"It's not your fault." He says, and my palms start to sweat. This is awesome! One of my childhood heros just spoke to me! Everything becomes silent and Maggie and I start awkwardly glancing at each other.

"Everyone is dismissed until morning. You have 24 hours to decide where you are going next. The Kimoti sisters are to stay behind." Keith says, and we stand in our place while everyone else leaves.

"As you both know, Marcus Cens... denied... Commander Erwin." Keith starts "We would like the two of you to join the Survey Corps... In squad Levi..."

My heart stops. My biggest childhood heroes were going to be my partners.

"Of course we will, sir." We say at the same time.

"Excellent. We leave by morning."