New Encounter

"Cmon Claire you gotta go to class. You haven't gone for 2 weeks. I mean you're usually the one who tells me I need get my ass to class remember?" Yana said, trying to pull the covers off of me but I held tight so she couldn't. "Why won't you tell me what happened? Is it your family again? A class you're failing? Changkyun?"

My eyes widened at the last word. But I stayed quiet.

"Ugh you know what fine don't tell me imma go to my comp class and you better be up or dressed or something that is progress from your current state when I get back." She said, slamming the door.

A few moments later I heard a knock at the door.

"Claire? It's Changkyun."

I slowly walked to the door but I didn't open it. I didn't answer either.

"Claire I know you're there alright. You wanna know how I know? Because-" His voice got quieter. "Because I can smell things, hear things, and see things normal sophomore boys can't. Like the sound of your heart beating. I can hear it beating faster now that I've said that." He paused for a moment. "You've been having nightmares haven't you? About me?"

I gulped. He knew?

"I know because my mom used to get them a lot after she found out her son was- anyways I was going to tell you sooner or later-"

"No you weren't." I interrupted.

"You're right, I wasn't. But Claire I'm still the same guy as before. I'm still that guy who gave you a pencil on the first day of school. Still the guy who raced you everyday to class. The same one who's laughed with you everyday since the semester started. It's still the same Changkyun you know, just, now you know more about me is all."

I tried to hold back from crying. I was never mad at him; never hated him. I was just, shocked.

"Please let me in and I will tell you everything you want to know I promise." He begged.

I hesitated but then unlocked the door and let him in. I didn't look him in the eyes at all though.

"I know you'll probably hate me for asking you this first but, have you told anyone?" He asked.

"No."

"Not even Yana?" He lifted his eyebrow.

"No I haven't told her. Even if I did she wouldn't believe. She never believes me." I answered.

He rubbed the back of his neck and took a deep breath. "I'm sure this won't come as much of a surprise to you since you already saw but, I'm a werewolf, Claire."

To hear him say it; to admit what he was, made everything more real. If he would've told me this before I would've laughed like anyone would; thinking it was a joke. But I'm not laughing. This is real. And it's certainly no joke.

"Claire look at me, please." He cried.

I refused. I couldn't bare to see his eyes; not after how they looked the last time I saw them.

"Claire!" He pushed my chin up with his finger; making me look in his eyes. My face relaxed. There they were, the perfect brown eyes I fell in love with; the ones with no flaws. A tear fell to my cheek and he wiped it away with his thumb.

"If that's all you needed to say can you please go now?" I asked, averting my eyes from his.

"Claire-"

"Please." My voice scratchy from trying to hold back my crying.

"Alright. I'll go. I'll leave you alone. But just know I would never hurt you Claire, ever." He went to caress my cheek but I turned my face away. He took his hand back and walked to the door. He glanced back at me and gave a smile. It was a smile filled with sadness and guilt, not joy. Then he left.

That day, I decided I should pick myself up a bit; 'make progress' like Yana said. So, I put on my running gear and picked one of my favorite areas to run in. It was beautiful; all the trees. But then I remembered it was a tree, like all the others, that I found Changkyun leaning against. I shook my head and continued running.

I stopped to take a breather and I over heard people talking. I slowly walked over and saw a group of guys gathered together. I examined a little closer. I couldn't believe my eyes. They had Changkyun. Two guys were holding him down by his arms while one was interrogating him.

"It's funny we had to meet up like this isn't it?" He said.

"Well, seeing that I'm a college student and this is a college I don't find it quite funny." Changkyun replied.

All of a sudden the man froze. He lifted his nose up to the air and took a deep breath.

"Smells like you have someone following you Changkyunnie." He grinned. He looked over to where I was but I quickly hid behind a tree; holding my mouth so I wouldn't make a sound. He started to whistle for me like I was a dog or something.

"Cmon lil one. Don't be afraid. We only want to play." He laughed.

Changkyun could hear my heart racing in fear. He looked at the two guys holding him down and took a deep breath. Then, he pulled his arms together; forcing them to fall in front of him.

"Claire run!" He screamed.

I began to sprint; revealing my position to all of them. I leaped over bushes and piles of dead leaves. I glanced back and saw two different guys chasing me. They were fast, very fast. I turned back and started running faster. After a moment, I didn't hear footsteps anymore. I looked behind me and they weren't there. "Where did they go?" I mumbled. Right then I hit something and was flung back.

"You have a lovely sent." It was the same guy that was talking to Changkyun.

I backed up but he came closer. His teeth began to grow and his facial structure changed. He reminded me of- of a wolf. He growled deeply but was pushed by something. "Ch-Changkyun-" I stuttered. He was the same as the other man; wolf-like; guarding me from him.

"She doesn't know anything Ira!" He yelled.

"Now she does." Ira smirked. "But unfortunately I gotta run. Bigger problems on my list than this." His face became serious. "Listen Changkyunnie, you know the rules. If you won't kill her, I will." And with that he ran off.

Changkyun stood up and turned to me. His face and teeth went back to normal. He didn't say anything. I could see how much guilt he had.

"You're not going to-"

"No. I would never." He looked in my eyes. "And I won't let him, I promise."

"I have questions now." I mumbled.

"Ok. I'll answer anything."

We went back to the campus; to my dorm. Changkyun sat me down at my desk chair as he stood and explained. He told me that the man that threatened me was Ira, one of the more experienced and dangerous werewolves. He had a pack even though he wasn't an alpha. Changkyun told me how he himself became one; that he was bitten when he was only a child and forced to live with the consequences ever since. He kept it a secret from his family for years until one day his mom say him shift during a full moon. She freaked out like I did, dreamt thing like I did, but now accepts her son for who he is.