Chapter 4

Clary walked into the Accords Hall, her head held high. She could hear the whispers. Valentine's daughter.

Max's body and Celine Herondale's were burned along with with the fallen Shadowhunters from the Los Angeles Institute. None of the Lightwood's would be here. Isabelle had refused to come out of her room since it happened a week ago.

The survivors from the Los Angeles Institute, all children, were going to tell everyone what happened. Clary didn't agree with it. The Mortal Sword was painful, they were only children.

Jace stood by his father, his face pale. He had come to Clary's room after he found out about his mother's death. They hadn't spoken, only held each other tightly, afraid to let go.

Stephen Herondale looked pained. He was obviously sad, but not in the way you should be sad when you lose your wife, more like he had lost a friend or a beloved pet.

Clary reached Jace just as the Blackthorn children came on stage. Jace gave her a half-hearted smile, his golden eyes dull.

Julian Blackthorn went first, his face turned away from the crowd. Clary's heart started beating faster at his pained expression when he took the sword. Helen and Mark Blackthorn stood off to the side looking hesitate.

Clary was hardly listening until a small blonde girl ran on stage. Emma Carstairs. The last of the Carstairs. Julian visibly relaxed as he saw her.

A loud scream echoed throughout the hall. Jace was already prepared with a seraph blade.

Sebastian stood on stage with a knife pressed to Emma's throat. Jace slowly stepped up the stairs, completely focused on Sebastian.

"Jace." Clary said under her breath. Sebastian smirked at Jace. Jace was now at the edge of the stage. He looked like an avenging angel.

"Let her go." Jace said as more Shadowhunters rushed to get on stage. Fire sprung up and blocked their path.

"Jace, been missing me?" Sebastian said, his voice filled with dark amusement. Clary hated him. Jace snorted and moved closer.

"Anyway," Sebastian continued conversationally. "we'll make a trade. You for the girl." The bastard smirked again

Jace hesitated only for a moment."Deal." His voice came out hoarsely. Clary felt here heart stop.

Sebastian walked the remaining distance to Jace and grabbed not so gently. He pushed Emma off to the side and looked out at the crowd of Shadowhunters, his dark eyes landing on Clary.

Sebastian twisted a ring on his finger and disappeared, along with Jace.