Contest 1: Creation Story Contest

Creation stories are prevalent in ancient myths, fairy tales, and legends. It seems that there are hundreds of stories just for one topic. So that being said; what would it be like to write one yourself?

Prompt: In 10,000 words or less, write a story about the reasoning behind a world process or the creation of something in nature. May it be the reason why sunsets and sunrises come at the beginning and the ending of the day or the reason why some rocks from beaches have white rings around them, whatever the story may be, use your imagination to come up with a story of why things are the way they are.

While you could write your story in a traditional "Once upon a time there was a" format, we'd prefer your stories to be told in short story form so as to draw in your reader. Add in intrigue and character motivations. Basically, make it like a novel, but short.

In short terms, this is an exercise in writing your own original myth or legend. While you can draw inspiration from myths and legends that already exist, we ask that you come up with your own myth or legend for this contest.

Be original. Be creative.

As an example:

A brief description of a story about the origin of sunsets could be something along the lines of:

As the daughter of the Moon God, Luna was told to never venture out into the sunlight. It was too dangerous. It wasn't right. Luna disagreed. Was it so wrong to want to feel sunbeams against her skin?

Going against her father's wishes, Luna goes into the sunlight, only to find that Helio, the son of the Sun Goddess, had a similar idea. Charming yet quiet, Helio fascinates Luna, and before long their tentative friendship blossoms into something much more.

Her father should never have been worried about what the sunlight would do to her. He should've been worried about the people she could meet in the sunlight.

While it's not automatically obvious where the sunrises and sunsets come in, the brief description from above is a story about starcrossed lovers who can only meet at the day's beginnings and ends.

(You cannot use the exact example we provided above as your story, however, the starcrossed lovers topic can be used, as can the idea of sunrises and sunsets. Just not together. Get creative about it. You won't get any bonus points from us for copying our example idea.)

Rules:

- All stories must be in English

- All stories must be original

- All stories must be written specifically for this contest.

- All stories must be 10,000 words or less.

- All stories must stand alone.

- All stories must be in by August 2nd, 2016 at 11:59 pm.

- All stories must be entered in the comment section below by providing the link to said story. You can't send us the story through email, private message, or by posting a link on our message board. If you do that, your story will not be counted as an entry.

What we will be judging the stories on:

- originality

- lack of errors

- plot development

- surprise factors (how surprised we are by the story

Prizes:

- A shout-out from us, our mother account, and our head moderator

- Winning stories will be added to our lists, a list on our mother account, and a list on our head moderator's account

- A sticker to put on the cover.

So that's it! Good luck to all those who enter! Remember, you can only enter in the comment section below and you must enter your story by August 2nd at 11:59 pm in order to be eligible to win