Chapter Three

"Here is the cake and I made just how you wanted." I smiled showing the lady in front of me her sons birthday cake. "I even made little candy rocket ships and stars." I smiled pointing to them.

"Thank you so much, Alice. This is just amazing. Joey is going to love this." She smiled. She handed me a fifty dollar bill for the cake and then put added a twenty as a tip.

"It's my pleasure, Martha. Anything for little Joey. Give him a giant birthday hug for me." I said with a wink.

"I definitely will. Have an amazing day, Alice." She gave me a small wave.

I smiled at her and she left my bakery. I let out a sigh and went back to the kitchen. I began to mix batter for my next order, when the bell in the front desk rang. Considering I'm the only one here today, I've been busy.

My next customer was just a little girl wanting to buy a cupcake with her tooth fairy money. I internally awed and pinched her little cheeks. I have her the cupcake she wanted and the mother gave me a fifty cent tip. Thanks lady.

I rolled my neck to relieve the stress and tension. Since my birthday, I've done nothing but work and house hunt. I found a cute little apartment a few blocks from here, but mom said she wants to look at it first and talk to the realtor about the neighborhood.

I understand why she wants to. But I'm a grown woman... When I want to be.

I let out a sigh and go back to the kitchen. I'm finally able to make the batter and set the cake in the oven before my next customer walks in. The door chime rings and moments later, the counter bell does as well.

I wipe my wet hands on a paper towel before throwing it away and making my way to the counter. I'm surprised when I see Terrance waiting patiently.

"Oh hello Terrance. What a surprise." I smile. "What can I get for you?"

"Charlie from the office is retiring this Friday and we're throwing him a party at the office. So I'm going to need a plain vanilla cake and 'Best Of Luck' written on it. Doesn't matter what color. As long as the cake is vanilla." He said looking at a text on his phone.

I wrote down his order and smiled. "I'll have that done by Thursday. You can come pick it up Friday morning. You have the option of paying me now or paying me when you come to pick up the cake. It's not going to cost much. Maybe only about fifty dollars or so." I smiled and set the pencil down beside me.

"Great. Thank you." He smiled. "I'll have someone come pick it up Friday morning and I guess I can pay you now." He reached into his back pocket and handed me a hundred dollar bill. "Keep the change." He winked at me before leaving.

Well that was unexpected.
--------
"Okay. I like this place. But tell me about the history. There must be some history as to why it's so nice." Said my mom to the realtor lady. I rolled my eyes and walked over to the floor to ceiling Windows. The view of the ocean was just incredible. It took my breath away

 It took my breath away