Trust Isn't The Only Issue (Chapter 7)

ARMONI POV:

My phone rang and I briefly glanced down at the screen. I sighed in relief when I noticed that Jerome was finally returning my FaceTime call from earlier. We needed to talk. "Babe." I sighed, answering his call.

I could tell that he was either in practice on a break or he'd just finished with practice or a work our session. Based on his surroundings, he was in the gym with his teammates. It was loud so he waited to speak while he put his  headphones in.

I observed him while he fiddled, trying to put his headphones in. He was sweaty and out of breath but he still looked good as hell.

The smile that was on his face fell and a frown immediately formed on his face once he saw my facial expression. "What's wrong Noonie? You good?" He asked me.

"Don't be mad at me ...." I started with a small pout on my face. Normally when making big and important decisions that affect our family; Jerome and I always talk and consult with each other. Before telling Sharla that we'd take Austin in, I should've talked to Jerome about it but I was a little late.

"Aw hell." He sighed heavily, shaking his head at me. "What's wrong? What you do?"

"Remember you told me that you'd help me do whatever to help protect Austin and Sharla?" I asked him.

"Armoni Lashae, please don't tell me that you did what I think you did?" He groaned loudly as he put his head down. "Lord why?"

"I'm sorry babe bu-"

"You killed that man? What the hell is wrong with you? We got kids! How the hell you gone raise kids from jail? Oh, I get it now. This was all a plan so you could be reunited with your prison lover! Y'all got me fucked up! I'll break in that bitch and kill both of y'all before I let you leave me!" He ranted on as I stared at him in shock and disbelief.

"Jerome what the hell? I didn't kill anybody!" I snapped, causing his head to pop up. "Even if I did; I definitely wouldn't be telling you about it over the phone!"

"Oh, my bad. You're right!" He mumbled lowly as he slowly nodded his head. "So what is it that you did?"

"I told Sharla that Austin could stay with us." I explained slowly.

"What's the issue? Ain't that what he's doing now? He's with us most of the time anyway." He asked, raising his eyebrow.

"She wants us to file for legal guardianship of Austin and I kind of already told her that we would do it." I responded

"Legal guardianship? As in, that's gon' be our kid from now on or something? We can't give him back? He's ours?" He asked me.

"Right." I nodded slowly.

"Mookie, what the fuck?" He scoffed.

"Well, you did say you wanted another kid." I reminded him with an uneasy grin on my face as I shrugged my shoulders.

"I said I wanted a baby, not a teenage boy!" He corrected me, slightly raising his voice.

"I know babe but I'm sorry. I couldn't just tell her no and I didn't want Austin going back to that situation." I sighed.

"I don't mind helping out but I don't know how comfortable I am with him consistently living under the same roof as my teenage daughter! I know how boys his age think and I don't want that shit around my daughter." He expressed. I understood where he was coming from and I respected his point of view.

"I know babe bu-"

"Oh hell naaaw, I can already see how this shit is gonna turn out! I rebuke teenage pregnancy and STD's in the name of Je-"