Chapter One- Man with Red Scarf

Born in Tennesee, I was raised to a family full of love. My father owned this big farmland and being raised in a country sounds so much fun and it made my childhood life so meaningful... But it all ended in tragedy. I can say that tragedy never takes time to ruin someone's life, it will do whatever it pleases...

My father died of some serious illness. I was only six years old when I lose him. Since father's death, many problems unexpectedly showered into my family; we have bundles of loans in the banks, and debts. We are running out of money... So my Uncle Vince, my mother's big brother adviced her to sell our possession; our livestock. Still it is not enough to pay such a big debts so my mother decided to work in the city to support our financial needs, while Uncle Vince, her big brother will continue to manage the farm and take care of me.

Before she leaves she made a promise that she will come back home. Many years have passed she never did come home. My faith in my mother was fading but Uncle Vince keep assurring me that mother never breaks her promise.
I just faked a smile.

Tomorrow I'm turning 20, the age of I can see myseld as a truly a young adult woman. No longer a child nor a teen. An adult.
***
As soon as I arrived home from college the whole house was quiet so I decided to check on-------
"Happy Birthday Desiree!" My Uncle Vince, Grandmother Elvira and Grandfather Justin greeted me in the dining room.
They were cheering and chanting on me. I glowed with happiness.

"Come, make a wish.... You're 20 now...." Grandpa said eagerly.
He embraced me and lead me to the dining table, a big chocolate cake with twenty red candles, sweet-roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, Brussel Sprout and big apple pie laid on it.
What a feast! I can't wait to eat!. Grandpa placed me in the front of the cake, the candles glowing radiantly as if singing a Happy Birthday song to me too. I made a wish and blew the candle.

I watched the smoke dancing up--- a glimpse of red and brown moved away from the window as if hiding from peeking at me. I'm sure it was a man with a red scarf. I caught it with my own naked eyes.
***
That afternoon, I decided to take a walk in the woods with my golden retriever Reign.
Just refreshing my mind over schoolworks and my mother. I still keep thinking of her. Every minutes of my life. She is the main reason why I strive hard in school, hoping if she heard that I'm going to be the class cum laude she will return to me.

Reign, my dog suddenly barked and started running fast that I accidentally loose my grip. "REIGN!" I shouted as I hurried to catch her up. I pressed my feet onward... Trees become blur in the line of my sight.... I keep my eyes locked on my dog. I could feel I'm almost close to her. Soooo close-----
I noticed a young man who looked three years older than me sitting beneath a tree. Reign dodged at him and licked his face.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry". I apologized, pulling Reign from his top. He just giggled as he adjusted his colored scarf around his shoulder. His scarf is red. So familiar...

"Nah, it's nothing". He shrugged off my apology, distracting my thought.

He stood up, brushing off his clothes from dirt...I was heartened by his appearance; he was tall, dark and handsome. He had shaggy dark brown hair and beautiful emerald green eyes. I was speechless.
He waved his hand at my face. "Hey, you okay?". He asked me. I nodded awkwardly. Ugh, I never been like this in the front of a guy. I have seen many gorgeous guys like him in my life. Perhaps he looks better than them.
I composed myself and exhaled. "I'm fine. It is just your scarf." "My scarf?" "I saw you earlier. I'm sure you are trying to peek on my family." I blurted out.

"Yeah, that's me." He admitted. "I was just looking for a girl named Desiree Fair. Are you her?"
My eyes grew big. "Yes. Why?"

He suddenly looked interested as he looked at me from head to toe and then he said my mother's name "Your mother is Miranda Fair, right?"
My heart seemed to stop beating. I couldn't move my feet.
He got something about my mother and he might know where she is
This is the first news I'm going to hear about her. Is she okay?