Chapter Two- Missing

"Who are you and how did you know my mother?" I asked suspisciously.

"My name is Rufus Clyde. Your mom was my relatives' housekeeper." He told me with no joking tone. He looked ill serious.
"Wha--what? Housekeeper?" My voice cracked in shock. All I can remember in her letter when I was eight, mother said she got a job as a call center agent... Did she lied to me?

"You don't know? Did any of your family members not tell you about it? They don't know too?" He was more suprised than me.
I slowly shook my head. My mother may not return home but she used to write letters to me back that time.
As time passed by, she stopped sending letters when I was 18. Whenever mails arrived in the box Uncle Vince get them fast and told me nothing about it. That is the time I'm losing my faith in my mother.

My mouth moved. "H---How's my mother? Is.... she okay?".

Again he looked suprised with a mixture of confusion etched on his handsome face. " So you don't know anything! You---
"I DON'T KNOW! JUST TELL ME!"
Silence....
His dreamy eyes locked straight to mine. "Forgive me for this... Your mother is missing. I came here to tell you---

Tears run down on my cheeks. I broke down and cried. The fabric of my life had torn apart... My poor mother... I imagined my mother locked up in a dark room, crying and begging for her life. I don't want to think that but there is no other picture I could put in my mind.

Rufus gently pulled me up to my feet and hugged me. I let my head nestled on his chest. I need a shoulder to cry on now.
"I'm so sorry." He said softly.
" It can't be helped, you know"
"Desiree?"
I looked up to his face.
"I will help you find your mother. Tell you what... She was very kind to me eversince I was a kid--- she was my nanny before. I still remember she used to tell me all about you; how friendly, caring and loving you are. Honestly I really wanted to meet you that time. As I was growing up I can't stop thinking about you. I'm pretty sure I have fallen in love with you. Now I see your face...." He held my face and leaned down his head to kiss me. It' so sweet.

He pulled away from me gently, his hand still on my cheek. "I promise I will help you... We will going to find her. Together."
With that... We kissed again.
My birthday kiss
***
It is almost evening when Reign and I got home. Reign trotting towards the kitchen with her tongue dangling. Fearing that Uncle Vince might see me late I ran into my room upstair.

Phew!! I sighed, lying on my bed. I can't help myself smiling over the moments I shared with Rufus; the kisses, conversation and holding hands. The touch of his lips still lingering on mine... I closed my eyes and relishing that moment Ru---

"Dess, are you there?" Uncle Vince's voice interrupted my thought. His voice echoed behind my door.
"Yeah!" I called, jumping out of my bed to grab the door.
He was smiling at me, with his eyeglasses on. "Dinnertime! We still going to celebrate your birthday." He said happily like a dotting uncle. I followed him downstair.

I caught the wedding photo of my parents standing on one of the shelves in the living room. Mother looked so radiant in her wedding dress and Father was smiling down at her.

My eyes ached. I have to stop looking at them or else I will end up crying again.

"Darling Dess, let's eat now." Grandma said behind me. Her hands on my shoulders.

I said nothing.

"Something wrong? Don't tell me it's your mother that bothers you"

"You don't know? Did any of your family members not tell you about this? They don't know too?" Rufus' questions echoed in my mind, connecting to my past. I remember how my grandparents avoided my questions regarding my mother, how Uncle Vince take mails all by himself; as if hiding mother's letter... Something was not right...

I have to force them to tell me everything they know...I turned to face my grandmother, taking a deep breathe. "Granny, can I ask you of something? Please be straight with me". I begged politely.

"Hey, what are you two standing there? Dishes might get cold". Grandpa called as he smiled, he was walking towards us behind him Uncle Vince trotting.
Grandpa's sweet smile faded when he noticed the mood.

"Is my mother missing?" I blurted out my questions. "Is she really working as a housekeeper? Not a call center girl?"

No one said a word.

"ANSWER ME!" I screamed, tears streaked down on my cheeks.

Uncle Vince spoke on behalf of my grandparents. "That is true. I suppose we need to tell her now; Miranda went missing 5 months ago. According to the police's investigation, Miranda was last seen leaving a store after buying something. Her employers got worried when she didn't return to them so they checked her apartment she was renting, but according to her landlady Miranda didn't return too. They contacted the cops to report the missing. I was surprised when I recieved a call fron the police."

There was a painful silence.

"Why you didn't tell me? Then why are you trying to hide Mother's letter, Uncle?" I asked.

This time Grandpa answered for me. "It is your mother's decision. She don't want you to worry too much. Try to respect it, Dess." He insisted.

"But---"
Grandfather's voice aroused in anger. "THAT'S ENOUGH, DESIREE!"

Hurt, I stormed out of the house. I let my feet drag me where it want to go. Into the woods. I was hoping Rufus was there. He told me he will be waiting for me. Seeing Rufus makes my pain ease

Rufus did not showed up where we met. "Rufus!!!!" I called. I started to lose my energy; my tears forcing my eyrs to shut down.

All of a sudden, I blacked out.