24: The Invite

Not edited yet; soz

Sorry for going MIA on you guys; the writer's block has been severe. I'm planning on spamming you all with updates within the next 36 hours or so so buckle tight! The chapters will be written quickly and so might not be edited (like this one) so please bear with me and point out any errors and/or possible improvements. Thank you!

Two brown eyes locked with Mit's in a noncommittal, bored gaze, partly obscured by stray purple hairs, before diverting as quickly as they had come

Two brown eyes locked with Mit's in a noncommittal, bored gaze, partly obscured by stray purple hairs, before diverting as quickly as they had come. Bo looked down at his open notebook with a sort of strong aversion that one could only muster on school Monday mornings, tapping the eraser end of his pencil against the white paper.

Mit continued on to her seat from the class entrance, hesitating a little and waving as she passed by Bo's on the second row. He showed no form of acknowledgement, and she fought back an urge to scoff before falling into her own seat.

She'd run into him the previous day at Walmart by the food aisle, where she'd deliberated on which brand of ramen to buy.

"I highly suggest the Kimchi sea food," a voice had suddenly said behind her, shocking her enough to send the cups she'd been holding in a downward spiral to the linoleum floor.

"Halloween came early this year," Mit had said, bending to pick the ramen cups. They'd dented a little by the side, and she surreptitiously arranged them back on the shelf in a manner that their defective side wouldn't show.

Bo had taken two packs of the brand he'd recommended and tossed it into her basket (that, much to her chagrin, had been decked at the top with a box of tampons and an Always pad). Bo might have been quiet, but definitely not a gentleman, so he'd held no qualms in quipping, "Happy new month. I guess I'll see you in third period tomorrow."

"You—you tampon!" she'd frantically yelled after him after he'd stuffed his hands in his pockets and started to leave, her face flushed pink in mortification.

"Your comebacks are so strong, you hit me straight in the heart." At this he'd made an invisible arch through the air and to strike his chest with a clenched fist, a faux grimace of pain on his face, before breaking into a small smirk and continuing on his way. "By the way, this doesn't mean we're friends," he had spoken as an afterthought. "I will not hesitate to ignore you tomorrow."

She actually thought he'd been joking.

Miss Meyers walked into the classroom as soon as Mit had settled at her desk, and was instantly greeted by a loud, miserable chorus of groans from teenagers who had not yet accustomed to the weekday tortures of education since the weekend.

"Yeah yeah yeah, shut your traps you little shits," said the teacher over the rim of her cup of black coffee, her pale face pulled into a grimace. Was cussing at students even legal? "You think I wanna be here too? To see all your ugly faces? Hell naw. Half of y'all couldn't even pass your test from last week. Gave me a damn headache just looking at your scripts."