What Did I Do To You?

Nagisa's POV

Again. Again. Again. Karma's fists pounded into my skin, and I held back my cries.
I couldn't let him see me cry. Never.
As soon as my knees had given out on me, and I crumpled to the ground, the torment stopped, and cool fingers slid into my hair.
His words mocked me, and I buried my face in my arms, knees tight against my chest.
I was a failure. My mom wanted a girl, Karma wanted a girl. Did everyone wish I was a girl?
Then the redhead was gone and I was alone. Cold. Bruised. Broken.
The bell rang.
After a few minutes of my muscles cramping from the awkward position, I got up, feeling my wounds. From what I could tell, he had aimed mostly for my stomach, so the bruises wouldn't be seen.
I staggered out of the bathroom and to my locker, fishing out more hair pins and quickly pulling my hair back up. When it was against my neck, I could feel sweat pooling against the nape of my neck. It made me feel disgusting.
I headed to the nurse's office after, and hearing her gasp as I entered, I knew it was bad.
She ushered me to sit in a huge, red armchair, and I sunk into the cushion, my ribs aching.
"What happened, Shiota?" She asked softly, reaching out and ghosting her fingers along the bruises forming on my forearms. I winced.
"I was so tired I fell down the stairs this morning." I lied quickly, pulling my arms away.
She frowned, disbelief written across her face, but she nodded. "Alright. Do you want some ice packs?"
I nodded and leaned back, trying to get air into my lungs without feeling like I was breathing water.
The plump, gray-haired woman nodded and moved away, returning with a handful of cold packs. She pressed one on each arm, and I set two on my stomach. She eyed me before instructing me to hold the other to my cheek. The cold dug into my skin, and I shivered involuntarily, closing my eyes as the ice numbed away the pain.
Once the pain had completely numbed, and I was starting to shiver, the nurse removed the ice packs and wrote me a late pass for homeroom.
I headed there immediately, elaborating on my lie as I walked. Ms. Irina was the kind of woman who questioned everything.
Right outside the door, I froze, my hand resting on the wood. Karma was in my homeroom.
My heart was hammering. What would he say? He was the one who had done this to me. I slowed my breathing and entered, glancing around and instantly catching golden eyes.
Karma quickly looked away, and I instead found myself staring at everyone else.
"Mr. Shiota! It's past time you joined us...!" Ms. Irina trailed off as she noticed my arms and face. "Oh dear, what happened to you?"
I swallowed nervously, gaze flickering to Karma. "I didn't get a good night's sleep last night, and I fell down the stairs outside of the school." My voice was surprisingly steady, and I looked Karma in the eye after. He smirked and flipped me off.
So much for getting on his good side.
I took my seat and started working on homework I hadn't been able to finish last night, ignoring the returning pain from every movement.
My mom expected me to get my grades up, but I kept falling back because of her, and Karma. Every night I went to sleep hoping the next day would be better; hoping my bruises would fade away. Makeup covered up older injuries from both of them.
Recently, it had been getting worse at home. She would make me dress up for her, or else she would have a fit. I had to wear my hair down at home, or else she would grab me by the hair and shake me until it fell down.
Why?
I was shaken out of my thoughts by the bell ringing, signaling passing period for Block 2. I had gotten no work done, and my ribs ached even more than before. As I collected my books, I was jostled to the side, along with a harsh shove which caused me to stumble and almost fall over my desk.
Karma. He glared at me. "What the hell was that, Shiota?" He spat. "Why'd you cover up for me?"
"Karma I—"
"Don't call me by that name! You and I were never friends, Shiota." He leaned close, and I was trapped against my desk. Ms. Irina was in the hall.
My mind whirled. Why was he mad I had covered up for him? Did he want to be caught? Everything was backwards all of a sudden. I didn't understand, and I just nodded weakly, causing his lips to curl into a smug smile.
"Stay down in the dirt, where you belong, Shiota." With that, Karma turned on his heel and marched out of the classroom, shooting a glance back at me.
I sighed and bit my lip, leaning against my desk.
It hurt to know Karma hated me.
I blinked back tears and headed to my second class.
Today was going to be a long day.

———————————————————

A/N: This chappie was kind of weird & stuff sorry! >.<