What Made Me Fall in Love with You?

Nagisa's POV

    "N-Nagisa! How could you? To your own mother?" My mother strained against the broad-shouldered cop holding her back. She was wide-eyed and desperate, though her gritted teeth and tense body revealed the fury that was hidden by sad tears.

    I stepped up to her, my arms and legs shaking. "The real question," I started, my voice low, "is how could you?" I pulled up the sleeve of my shirt and showed the throbbing purple bruises. "I trusted you, as my mother. I really shouldn't have had put up with that for all those years."

    "Nagisa, I-"

    "Say no more." She was cut off by Karma, who clamped a hand firmly on my shoulder. I turned to look at him, seeing his golden eyes boring into her. "You hurt him over and over again. You deserve this." He growled.

    She started crying hysterically as she was forced into the cop car, covering her face with her hands. As the car started, she turned towards us. She was screaming obscenities at us, though none passed through the thick glass of the window.

    I read her lips, though.

    She hated me. I was a disappointment.

    My shoulders slumped as the car took off, and Karma gently led me back to the small cluster of people behind us.

    She was gone.

x x x

    I stared at my bowl of soggy ramen, swirling the broth and noodles with my spoon.

    It had been three days since my mother was put in custody for child abuse. Since then, I had been staying with Karma. Word had spread quickly and the bullies had stopped teasing me and everyone else had been sickly sweet to me. It was honestly disgusting.

    Karma glanced at me from where he was wolfing down his ramen. "Hey... Do you want to talk about it now?" He asked softly, watching me with those level, golden eyes.

    I shrugged absently and hacked at a small piece of chicken in the bowl, which was hard with the spoon I was using.

    We had yet to talk about the last year, and everything that had happened. Karma had apologized for the bullying and I had apologized for telling his parents and being all sobby on his shoulder the other day. He had gotten oddly red at that.

    Karma's hand on mine surprised me, and I jumped, dropping the spoon in the bowl with a clatter. "God, don't scare me." I said weakly, glancing at him.

    He rolled his eyes. "How can I scare you if I'm sitting right next to you?" He asked with a small smile, before his expression grew serious. "But we really need to talk." Karma took my hand and pulled me out of my chair, up the stairs to his room. His parents were away on a business trip for the week, so it was just us two.

    Karma pulled me over to his bed, sitting down on the edge. I sat next to him, staring down at the carpet.

    "I think I understand why you told my parents about my issues." He surprised me with his words, and my gaze shot to him. He looked embarrassed. "It really hurt watching you suffering with your mom. I guess you were afraid I would get hurt? And the fact I was hurting others." He shrugged.

    "Y-yeah. That's true. You were so... Violent." I hated my word choice, seeing him cringe slightly. "Either you or one of your oponents was going to get fatally hurt sooner or later."

    "I hurt you so much. I'm surprised you don't hate me." Karma admitted, biting his lip. "I mean, I bullied you so much, and then it was my fault your mom hurt you that badly," he added, blushing as he reached out and let his fingers ghost on the fading bruise on my cheek.

    I shrugged, my gaze dropping to the carpet again. "It wasn't all your fault. I should have been stronger against her. I should have stood up to you." I felt bad for making him feel bad. It really wasn't all his fault.

    "Nagisa."

    "Hmm?" I turned my head, only to find Karma right in front of me. His golden eyes searched my face, and I could feel my cheeks heating up.

    His hand pressed gently against my chest, pushing me down onto his bed. He climbed on top of me, leaning down over my face.

    I could feel my face flush with warmth. "K-Karma...?"

    "You know, Nagisa. I thought I was going to die when I saw you the day you came back," he whispered into my ear, his hand still pressing onto my chest. "I had no idea why, until I realized..."

    I closed my eyes, waiting for something, anything to happen.

    Something soft and warm pressed against my lips and I opened my eyes, finding Karma kissing me.

    Karma freaking Akabane was kissing me.

    I was shocked, unsure of what to do. How do you kiss people again? Wait, I never learned how. I was pretty sure people didn't just randomly teach you how to kiss. I realized suddenly that he had pulled away, and he smirked down at me.

    "You're freaking out." He pointed out obviously.

    I pouted at him. "Am not." I crossed my arms and glared half-heartedly at him.

    He laughed. "And I'm Abraham Lincoln." Then he was moving down again and he pressed another soft kiss on my lips. "I don't know what my feelings are for you, Nagisa," he said softly. His face was red too, and I smiled softly. "But I would like to figure them out, if you'll let me."

    "I don't know what my feelings are for you either, thanks to you," I teased, swatting his arm gently. This drew a chuckle out of him. "But I'm willing to let you figure out."

    Karma's eyes were soft, and he bit his lip. "I promise I'll never let anyone hurt you again. I won't hurt you ever again either." He promised. "I'm sorry I let someone hurt you in the first place." He smacked his forehead. "Dang, how did I miss your tears in the first place? I knew about your mom!" He was starting to freak out now, and I silenced him with my fingers on his lips.

    "That's in the past now, okay? How about we both just let that go." I whispered.

    He smiled, his hand finding mine and lacing our fingers. "Will you give me a chance?"

    I nodded and smiled in return, closing my eyes as our lips met again.

    This was a second chance for both of us.

    This time we wouldn't be alone. We would be in it together, and we would never miss each other's tears again.

End.

———

A/N: I'm publishing this early because I got excited sorry. This last chappie was kind of awkward and when I was rereading the whole story I realized it was kind of rushed. However, I want to move on to the other story, so this has officially been completed. I love you guys. I hope you enjoyed my first officially finished fanfiction.