Eid Mubarak

Ishrat's POV

I called Saleem bhai, our security guard, to send Ruhi home as it was time for us to leave for the Eidgaah*.

(*A huge open ground exclusively reserved for Eid prayers)

As expected, her white gown had now become colourful. Stains of candies, sweets, soil & what not had created unrecognisable patterns on her dress.

She gave me a helpless look and I nodded my head disapprovingly. But I didn't scold her as I didn't want to spoil her mood.

I changed her into the stylish cape top paired with printed palazzo that Simmi had bought for her. She then found a matching scarf from her wardrobe and asked me to help her drape it around her head.

She saw Rahman descending the stairs and ran towards him "Assalamu Alaikum Abbu. Eid Mubarak" she wished him.

"Walaikum Assalam meri pari. Aapko bhi Eid Mubarak" He lifted her in his arms hugging her and kissing her on her forehead.

"Meri pari ki princesswali dress kahan gayi? Abbu toh dekhna chahte the ke pariyonwali dress me meri pari kitni achhi lagti hai" Rahman said.

"Hawww Abbu! Aap ye kehna chahte ho ke mai is dress me achhi nahi lag rahi?" The drama queen was up with her skills.

"Maine aisa kab kaha?" Rahman was taken aback.

"Hawww....Toh aap ye kehna chahte ho ke Simmi Bua ye jo itna cool sa dress laayi hain mere liye, woh bilkul bhi achhi nahi hai?" She confused him further.

"Arey maine aisa bhi kab kaha?" He was confused.

"Aap ne kaha nahi par hum samajh gaye. Hai na Simmi Bua?" She turned towards Simra & winked at her.

"Haan bilkul samajh gaye. Bhai ko toh bas yahi lagta hai ke duniya me sabse achhi pasand sirf unhi ki hai. Hai na Ruhi?" Simmi supported her in the act.

"Mai......" Rahman began to explain.

"Bas bas ab bahut hogayi tum dono ki nautanki" I chided the Aunt-Niece duo. "Aur aap kyun iski baaton me aake pareshan ho rahe hain? Ye toh hamesha hi apko buddhu banati hai aur aap ban jaate ho. Asal me toh woh khud ko daant se bacha rahi hai kyunki usne apni princesswali dress gandi kardi hai" I informed Rahman.

Ruhi squinted her eyes & pouted cutely. Like I mentioned earlier she does this when she is being caught and Rahman's heart melts immediately.

"Haan toh isme meri pari ki kya galti hai. Tumhe khayal karna chahye tha ke itni subah in kapdon me bachhi ko khelne keliye bhejogi toh aisa hi hoga" he put the entire blame on me as he was still upset about me having sent her to play early in the morning.

"Ye sahi hai. Jiski favour me baat ki wahi mujhe daante. Aur aisa lag raha hai ke aap bas intezaar me the ke kab mouqa mile aur kab aap mujhe is baat pe sunayein ke maine Ruhi ko ITNI SUBAH bhej diya." I gave back.

"Toh kya zarurat thi tumhe Ruhi ko bhejne ki? Meri pari mujhe bina wish kiye hi chali gayi. Pata hai Abbu kitne sad hogaye the?" He said.

Ruhi held her ears and said "Sorry Abbu" then kissed him on his cheek. Rahman kissed her back, all his sadness disappeared into thin air.

"Nautanki" said Simra tickling Ruhi.

The sheer khurma had come to a final boil and I served it in a huge bowl placing it on a tray.

"Simra ye Vandu Akka ko de aaogi please?" I asked extending the tray towards her.

Vandita, my next-door neighbour, a Tamilian, was a huge fan of Sheer Khurma. On every Eid, the first serving of Sheer Khurma would go to her house. A mature and kind hearted woman, was more like a sister to me than just a neighbour. She insisted I call her Akka and she fondly called me Ishu. Rahman would always tease us about the bond we shared.