Eid Mubarak

(Note: Next time I will make sure not to call my stories as OS🙈 I just can't limit my thoughts to one part😝)

Rahman's POV

"Humein der ho rahi hai" I said without paying heed to her words and walked away.

I was not angry on her, nor was my anger directed towards Romi. I was angry at myself for not being able to fulfil the promise I had given to my mother.

People say that she was my STEP mother, but I knew none except her as a mother.

My biological mother had breathed her last with my first breath. I never saw her, I never felt her presence. The only connection I had with her was that I stayed in her womb for 9 months. I realise she has undergone lots of hurdles to grow me within her & she even lost her life in the struggle to give me life but unfortunately I have no memories of her.

On the contrary, there is this woman whom people termed as my STEP mother yet the one I have had all the wonderful memories and a strong connection with.

The first much needed warmth I received on entering this world was in her arms.
She was the first person to bathe me & wrap me in a warm white cloth.
It was her who fed me from time to time when I stayed in the incubator for a week after my birth.

Shahnaz Rizwan was a nurse in the ward where my first cry echoed.
My mother had unwillingly left my side, while she willingly stepped ahead to cater to my needs.

She used to say that she had seen hundreds of babies coming to this world but there was something very special about me that she felt attracted and a sense of responsibility towards me.
And so she had done for me more than what her job demanded from her.

My Dadi who had been silently observing her bonding with me at the hospital decided to approach her with a proposal.

She had agreed immediately to the proposal, not because she could be my father's wife but because she wanted to be my mother. In a quick & simple ceremony she was wedded to my father and stepped into our home as my mother.

She did everything in her capacity to give me the love I deserved. She even went to the extent of deciding to not have a child of her own fearing that I would be neglected. It was my father who made her understand and finally after years of convincing she gave in to his demands.

And then after 8 years of my birth was born my sister Simra. Two years later exactly on the date of my birth was born my little brother. She named him Raheem which comes from the same root word as my name. But I liked to call him Romi. She used to say that she wanted my brother to be my reflection and she trusted me to be his role model.

I loved my siblings the way she loved me and taught them everything that I learnt from her.

We were a happy family until fate played a cruel game & took my parents away from me in an accident. I had just completed my graduation and was planning to study further but the sudden demise of my parents left a huge responsibility on my shoulders. My father had a well-settled business in UAE where we had been living for the past 15 years. I then had to look after the business and also take care of my siblings who were still very young.

On her death bed, my mother had just said "Tumhara khayal rakhne keliye ab mai nahi rahungi. Tum apna khayal rakhna beta"

Even while breathing her last, all she was concerned about was my well-being. I clutched her hand tightly and promised silently that I would be a parent to her children like she was for me.

I failed her! This is the only thought that comes to my mind whenever I am reminded of what happened between me & Romi 6 months ago.

My heart filled with guilt & my eyes filled with tears at the memory.