Glory's Lullaby

Glory and Deathbringer swooped through the trees.

"I so don't need a bodyguard for this!" Glory argued.

"Of course you do." Deathbringer shot back. Glory rolled her eyes and allowed the aggravated lines of red flicker through her ruff.

They landed at the healer's hut and walked in. The healer RainWings had left for the night and moonlight filtered through one of the windows onto the tiny dragonet sleeping in a nest of leaves.

Kinkajou sat up and blinked blearily at the two.

"Glory?" She asked and yawned.

"Yep." Glory said, sitting nearby the nest. "How do you feel?" She asked gently, eyeing the hole in Kinkajou's wing.

"Better, but a little thirsty." The dragonet confessed.

"I'll get some water." Deathbringer offered and left. Kinkajou watched him go. She shivered.

"I had a nightmare." She confessed and Glory leaned in. Glory twisted her talons in frustration. She hated it when Kinkajou had nightmares; they were one of the only things she couldn't keep away.

"Can I help?" She asked. Kinkajou hesitated, then started slowly. "Well, one of my mentors sung to me when I was little." She confessed.

Glory felt like someone had smacked her upside the head. Sing? Her? Her horns were more likely to explode. This was the kind of thing any of the other dragonets would be better at, except maybe Tsunami.

"Anything else?" The Queen asked and Kinkajou hung her head and sniffled.

"Okay! Okay, I'll try something." Glory rushed. The only song she knew was that bar song Tsunami or...

Back under the mountain there had been one scroll that had a lullaby in it, but Krestel had burned it once she knew what it held, but that hadn't stopped Glory from reading or memorizing the song written there. She had never had a lullaby sung to her before, but as a young dragonet, it sounded incredible. Sometimes when she had been abused by the guardians, she had allowed herself to hum the song to herself and calm her down. None of the other dragonets knew her secret, and she had never actually tried to sing it aloud before.

"I know one song, but I'm probably not a very good singer." She warned.
+++

Deathbringer was walking back with the pail of water in his talons, near the door to the healer's hut when he stopped dead in his tracks. He heard a sound coming from the hut. Could that be... Singing? Impossible. He stealthily peeked in through the window and couldn't believe what he saw.

Glory sat next to Kinkajou, singing a beautiful lullaby. She sounded incredible! Deathbringer strained his ears to listen more.

"Sleep little child wrapped up in my wings, dream of a lost December,

Know little child cradled in my arms, that I will always remember."

Her voice was a bit croaky and different, but it was something else altogether. It sounded rich and exotic, comforting, like a warm blanket or a sunbeam. How could she have kept something like this from Deathbringer?!

"Dream little child wrapped up in my wings, dream of angels flying,

hear little child cradled in my arms, hear the wind that's sighing."

By the time she was done, Kinkajou was turning peaceful shades of rose and lavender.

"Glory?" She said sleepily.

"Mmh-mh." Glory answered leaning in. "You're voice is like, mega amazing." Kinkajou said softly and fell asleep. Glory blushed deep rose and walked out of the healer's hut. She nearly ran into Deathbringer and let out a yelp.

"Three moons you almost gave me a heart attack!" She scolded, swatting him with her wing.

"Sorry your highness, I was just listening to the performance." He said with a mock bow. Glory turned a horrifyed and embarassed shade of pink and green.

"You HEARD me?! Deathbringer!" She swatted him on the nose. He laughed and stumbled back.

"What? You were amazing. How come you don't sing all the time?" He asked. She started turning pink again, but immediately turned herself black as him.

"I only sang because Kinkajou had a nightmare and no it wasn't amazing." She snapped, taking off. He followed her, flapping by her side.

"So you'd sing like that if she got scared again?" He questioned. She shrugged nonchalantly.

"Maybe."

"Hmm." Deathbringer flew a little closer to her, touching her wingtip with his.

"Then maybe I should have nightmares too."