Welcome to Litchfield

How did I get here? I wonder as the tall, female guard pats me down. "Now spread your cheeks and cough." She instructs, her voice hard as steel. "Are you serious?" I ask, my Australian accent showing through my voice clearly. I cross my arms over my chest and cause the lady to raise her eyebrows. "Now, inmate!" She snaps. I roll my eyes and do as I'm told, feeling like an animal. "Clear!" The lady shouts and pulls me up. She hands me my orange jumpsuit, some bedsheets and a pair of uncomfortable looking shoes. "Go change and another guard will take you to the van." She points to a spare room and I gather my new belongings.

The male officer helps me into the van, closing the door harshly behind me. A girl with a pinup hairstyle and fashion magazines plastered over her lap is in the drivers seat and a dark skinned girl sits next to me. The girl driving turns to face me, she wears bright red lipstick and a surprisingly comforting smile. "Hey newbie, how long you got?" She asks. I pretend to act like I'm thinking for a minute before answering. "26 months." The girl next to me gives me a a surprised look, probably because of the accent. "You British or some shit?" She asks "I'm Australian." I answer. The girl in the red lipstick with the looks down at her magazine and then back at me. "It's not so bad, I got 34!" She says, trying to reassure me. I chuckle to myself. "What's your name?" I ask. "Mine is Mackenzie." The girl meets my eyes and then looks to the dark skinned girl next to me. "We go by last names here, sweetie." She informs. "I'm Morello." She introduces. "And this is Watson." Morello points to the girl next to me and I look at her to reveal that she's simply looking out the window. I smile. "Well in that case, I'm Chase." The officer opens the door next to me and one more inmate hops into the van, looking like a lost puppy. "I'm Piper." She says blankly. Morello explains the last name thing to Piper and she reintroduces herself as Chapman. We drive for only about 5 minutes, making small talk before reaching a facility surrounded by barbed wire and fields of grass. "Welcome home." Morello says sarcastically. I crack a smile and laugh a bit. "What's so fucking funny to you?" Watson asks, causing me to be taken aback a bit. "Nothing, it's just this prison is so much nicer than the one I stayed in when I lived in Australia." I explain and Chapman gives me a quizzical look. "You've already been to prison?" She asks. "How old are you?" I tuck a chunk of blond hair behind my ear. "Just turned 24, I was charged with possession of drugs when I was 19 and earned myself a year in a small town prison." I chuckle a bit. "Was a damn nasty little place." Morello stops the van and pulls the keys out of the exhaust. "Well Litchfield ain't that bad." She smiles a little and we all exit the vehicle. Prisoners stare us down and give us dirty looks as we enter the facility. Morello shows us to our beds and provides us with toothbrushes. "So, what're your names?" A girl with wildly untainted hair asks. "I'm Chase." I introduce, taking a bunk under a girl named Diaz. The wild hair girl introduces herself as Nicky. "You don't look like the prison type, Chase." She states. "What did you do?" I am about to answer when Chapman interferes. "Aren't you not supposed to ask that?" She says. "I read that you aren't supposed to ask that." She crosses her arms over her chest. Nicky chuckles. "What did you study for prison?" She laughs. Nicky turns back to me. "You don't want to know what I did." I say blandly. "Aw, don't be like that newbie." Nicky pushes. "Leave her alone, Nicky." One of the older ladies scolds, standing up and walking over to me. "It's dinner time anyway." She informs. "I killed someone." I blurt out, immediately regretting it. Nicky laughs and jumps down from her bunk. "Well shit, Chase!" She exclaims. "You belong in the hood."