I join the hood

**************flashback************
"Mackenzie! Get your ass down here!" I hear my stepfathers voice from downstairs as I open up my bedroom door. I hurry down the stairs, scared of what is waiting at the bottom. "Why didn't you make me a damn dinner?!" He yells at me. "Because I'm not your maid or personal servant." I say calmly. He seems stunned by my sudden surge of bravery to stand up to him. His foot trips me and I fall flat onto the floor. I cry out in my pain. "You. Will. Do. What. I. Say. You. Worthless. Bitch." He kicks me with each word. I lay on the floor, crying and defenseless as my stepdad peers over me. "I'm sorry." I choke out. He rolls his eyes. "Whatever, just make me a sandwich."
************end of flashback**********
"Chase." Nicky shakes my arm and snaps me out of my flashback. "You get assigned today." She informs me. "Yay." I reply, sarcastically. Then an officer comes in, clipboard in hand. "Chapman, Chase, Diaz, Watson." He says. "Follow me, I'll take you to your new bunks." We walk down the hallway and he stops at one of the rooms full of beds. "Chase, Watson. This is your stop." He informs. "Watson, you're with Burset and Chase you're at the end with Washington." Watson and I go to our designated areas and I find out that I'm with none other than the girl I met yesterday, Poussey. She turns and flashes a smile. "Oh hey, it's Mackenzie right?" She asks, sitting down on her bed. "Yeah." I reply. "So what do ya need?" She asks, grabbing a book from her table. "I don't need anything." I chuckle. "I'm your new roomie." I set down my stuff on the empty bed. "No shit." Poussey laughs. "They got a little blondie in the hood!" I laugh at her enthusiasm and start making my bed. "And by the way, call me P." She instructs. "You can call me Kenzie, if you want." I offer. "That's what my siblings call me." Poussey furrows her brow. "You got siblings?" She asks. I smile and take a seat next to her on the bed. "I got two." I reply. "A twin brother named Derek and an older sister named Annabeth." I explain. Poussey scoffs. "Man fuck you, I always wanted a sibling." I laugh. "No, you don't want a sibling." I state. "Especially not a twin brother."  She returns the laugh and I blush. "Come on, Kenzie." She stands up. "It's lunchtime."