5

The good news was that the next day happened to be a Saturday, which meant no classes and sleeping in. Well, at least it would’ve meant sleeping in, had I not been woken at quarter after eight to a knocking at the door. I rolled over in my bed, doing my best to ignore the sound. Five more minutes? I silently pleaded with the person at the door. They ignored my request, knocking again. I groaned, smothering my head with my pillow. I heard movement beside me and I assumed it was Sherlock getting up to answer the door. I heard whispered voices at the door and then footsteps enter the room as he invited them in. Realizing I wouldn’t get any extra sleep I sat up, rubbing at my eyes and brushing away the hair that was falling in my face. Greg Lestrade, one of the boys on the football team and head student had turned around the chair at the desk and was sitting at it. Sherlock sat at the edge of his bed and seemed to be in deep conversation with Greg but they broke off when they noticed I was awake. Sherlock sat for a moment with his hands folded as he stared at Lestrade.

"Go over it again," he said finally. Greg frowned and narrowed his eyes.

"Wha-? But I just went over it!" Sherlock rolled his eyes in that ever annoying stop-being-so-stupid way of his.

"Yes, but John was asleep for it." I perked up at the sound of my name, looking between the two.

"I’ve barely gotten permission to tell you this!" Greg protested. I couldn’t help the burning curiosity at whatever this secret actually was but I tried to smother it as Greg wasn’t likely to tell me much.

"Yes, because you need me. A second viewpoint is very beneficial. Can pick up on the details I’ve missed." I was about to point out that there was no detail Sherlock ever missed, but Greg spoke before I got the chance.

"Yeah, I do... Somebody hacked the school computers, started messing with the teacher's grading systems. It took us a while to realize it, guy's sneaky. Anyway, they want you to find who did it and help them fix it so it doesn’t happen again."

Sherlock asked Greg a couple of questions before ushering him out, not providing a clear answer on whether or not he would look into it. When Greg had left he turned to me. "So, what do you think?" Sherlock asked as I got changed, feeling his gaze on my back as I did so.

"Could you not watch me get dressed?" I asked accusingly as I pulled a clean shirt over my head. I couldn’t help but feel self-conscious with the fact that he noticed everything. Sherlock sighed in an exaggerated and dramatic way and shifted his gaze slightly to look at the wall. I grabbed a pair of jeans from my dresser and slipped off my sweatpants. "What do I think?" I asked, slipping on some shoes. Sherlock nodded. "I think it’s time for breakfast."

I walked down to the dining hall, Sherlock tailing behind me. Looking around I could see people scattered in groups at the long rows of tables. I went up to the dwindling line and grabbed myself some tea as well as some sausage and a piece of toast. Noticing Sherlock hadn’t moved towards the line at all I added a banana to my tray for him. I sat down at an empty table and Sherlock joined me. I considered sitting with one of the many groups but I didn’t really know anyone well enough to feel comfortable doing that. I had gathered a few names here and there, but I didn’t really talk to people outside of class, definitely not enough to consider knowing them. I gave Sherlock the banana I had picked up for him, starting on the food I had on my plate.

"I was thinking this morning we should go and-"

"I have football this morning," I pointed out. Sherlock scowled and I got the impression he didn’t care much for sports.

"Fine then. I suppose I can look into it alone if I must." I took a couple bites of sausage before I notice Sherlock hadn’t touched his food.

"Aren’t you going to eat?"