16

Sorry I skipped the smut. Have a fluffy ending instead.

***

When I woke up on Thursday I was once again disappointed to find Sherlock not next to me, or even in the room. I sighed, stretched, an let myself lie there for a while before acknowledging the fact that I had classes and if I wanted breakfast I would have to get moving soon. I took a quick shower and got dressed before finding the note on the desk.

John- 

As your dad currently knows about us I no longer see any point about keeping it a secret. If you don’t mind I would like to begin telling people. I believe the dance this weekend would be a good time, if you agree to accompany me. Please let me know your answer.

-Sherlock

I smiled at the note and the awkwardness of it, stuffing it in my pocket as I grabbed my room key before leaving.

***

On Saturday, the day of the dance, Sherlock was gone again when I woke up. In his place was a white mask that covered the area around the eyes and had a cut out design to make it interesting, one rose (it was overly sentimental and Sherlock new it. I made a mental note to call him out on it), and a small note.

I have business to attend to. Meet you at the dance. The theme is masquerade, hence the mask.

I had quite some time to kill before the dance as it didn’t start until that evening, so I did some reading, caught up on some school work, hung out with Greg a little bit, and took a walk about the grounds (hoping to find Sherlock) before eating dinner and returning to my room.

I was able to find a suit that I wasn’t sure I even had and put it on, smoothing the shirt and jacket with my hands. God did it feel uncomfortable... There wasn’t a tie so I dug around in Sherlock’s clothes for one. He never wore them, but with his usual clothing being so dressy I wouldn’t be surprised if he had them. Sure enough towards the back of the dresser I found several ties. I pulled one out, a black one, before looping it loosely around my neck. I held the ends of the tie in either hand before realizing I had absolutely no clue as to how to tie a tie. Maybe Greg knew how? I decided to go ask him. I slipped my key into my pocket and grabbed the mask before heading to Greg’s room. The door was unlocked so I just let myself in, figuring Greg wouldn’t mind.

"Hey Greg?" I called into the room, not seeing him right away. He emerged from the bathroom wearing a pair of slacks and a shirt he was working on buttoning up.

"John? What’s up?"

"Got a date I see," I said, nodding to his suit. "Anyone I know?"

"Molly, actually. As friends of course. She didn’t want to go alone and as Sherlock said no to her I agreed to take her." I felt a small flare of jealousy as he mentioned the shy girl who asked Sherlock out but quickly pushed it away. I had talked to Molly before, and she was nice. She was really just in the same position I was in. The only difference was that Sherlock returned my affections and not hers. "Anyway, what about you? I thought you and Sherlock weren’t doing this type thing? What happened to the whole not telling people thing?"

I shrugged and scratched the b.ck of my neck a little. "Yeah, that sort of went out the window. Hey, can you help me with this tie? I’m rubbish at that kind of thing."

"Yeah, sure," Greg huffed, walking over to fix my tie for me. "Honestly, didn’t your dad ever teach you how to tie one?"

I was glad Greg was busy working on fixing my tie. I tried my hardest not to but I still flinched when he brought up my dad. "He was always a bit busy with other things," I said, praying that Greg wouldn’t ask what other things were. Thankfully he didn’t pry.