Chapter 1

"Will you love me forever?" She whispers, looking up at me through the darkness. Her green eyes twinkle from the moonlight hitting them and her hair is a mess but she is beautiful. Her chin is on my chest and her lips are pulled up slightly in a content expression. I could stare at her forever and never get bored.

"I will love you forever and even longer still. I promise you," I kiss her forehead and coax her to come closer to me so I can kiss her full lips.

"I love you Duke. For always." She kisses me softly and then relaxes her bare body back on mine. I slowly spin the diamond ring on her ring finger, remembering clearly when she screamed yes in the middle of a 5 star restaurant before apologizing profusely for scaring all the snotty customers.

I laughed quietly and she muttered a 'shut up' against my chest, obviously remembering the memory from a little over a year ago as well.

"It was cute," I inform her. She groans.

"It was embarrassing."

"Well I loved it."

She opens one eye to peek at me through the darkness of our bedroom.

"I guess it wasn't that bad..." She trails off, giving in. I smirk at her and change from touching her ring to playing with her hair. She relaxed easily and drifts off almost immediately. Her flawless face relaxes in sleep and only then do I allow myself to finally look away from her perfection to go to sleep myself.

I wake up, breathing heavily. My chest burns with the feeling of emptiness. I look beside me and am still shocked to see the spot next to me empty. She's gone. She's been gone. She's not coming back.

I drag myself from the oversized bed and stumble to the bathroom, the effects of my hangover already making an appearance.

This is why I don't drink! I always see her when I drink. I don't want to see her. Or rather, I don't want to think I see her.

I move on with my day, rinsing out my mouth and brushing my teeth before throwing on a clean button up and slacks. I fumble with my stupid tie like every morning, once again being reminded of the little things Samantha would do like tying the damn thing and then kissing me before I left to work.

It's hard to believe I still can't tie these even after over 2 years of her absence.