Chapter 4

"We found her," Cole gasps, breathing heavily. I stopped walking, my eyes matching his shocked ones.

My heart thumped wildly in my chest at the prospect of holding her again. "How? When?" I stumble over my syllables as I try to process the information.

"No, no. Tell me that later. Just take me to her. Please Cole."

He nods immediately and walks out of the room again. My anger is forgotten as I feverishly follow after my beta like the lost puppy I am without Samantha.

"I have the search team all ready. Do you want to drive?"

I nod. "I won't be able to relax or sleep anyway. Where am I going?"

"California."

"Seriously? She been one state away this whole time?" I start the engine and immediately begin driving. "Put it in the gps. What part of California?"

"Yosemite area. I'll call Alpha Sherman to gain access to his territory."

I nod to his words and begin heading in the direction the robotic voice instructs.

My heart was racing and paying attention to the road was difficult when all I could think about was her. Our memories. My mistake.

"We need to talk," I whispered, my throat burning and tightening. Her beautiful face turned to me and her perfectly shaped eyebrows pulled together in concern.

"What is it Duke? Are you okay?" She touches her palm to my cheek, searching my eyes for answers she won't want to find.

I push her away against my instincts and step away from her. I have to avert my eyes to make sure I don't have to stare into hers as I break us both.

"I can't be with you Sam."

"Duke-"

"Just be quiet Sam!" I yell. If she speaks I won't be able to do this. I won't be able to protect her.

She jumps away from me in shock and I make the mistake of looking into her tear-filled eyes.

"I, Alpha of Bloodlines Pack, reject you as my mate and Luna." I visibly cringe, my chest igniting in an internal fire. She falls to her knees, clawing at her chest and head in obvious pain. A heartbreaking scream racks through her petite body and the only thing I can do to prevent myself from wrapping her up in my arms and accepting her again is to walk away.

And so I do.