Chapter 8

"They both fell asleep already. It was an eventful day for them," she answers.

"Well do you at least want the dinner I made?" She shrugs.

"I guess." Her reply is nonchalant but in her eyes I can see her excitement. Yes she must still love this dish.

I dish her out a large portion and then give myself some before adding a slice of garlic bread to each of our bowls.

"Anything to drink?"

"You're stalling," she points out in a sing song voice. I roll my eyes and give her her food.

"Observant today, huh?"

"It's a mom thing," she informed me matter-of-factly. She starts eating, the bliss in her facial expressions informing me that the food is good.

She freezes when she looks up to see me just watching her and then brushes her face with her napkin. "Is there something wrong?"

I shake my head. Nope. Absolutely nothing was wrong with her finally being home.

"Start talking," she demands before shoveling more noodles into her mouth- and I mean that in the most lady like way possible.

"Okay. Whatever you want."

And so I dove into the story of how 6 weeks before our wedding, when her father first came to meet me, Martin faked a smile to everyone until he got alone time with me. I told Sam how he had given me his opinion on me. The one where I was an evil jackass that would be the only thing keeping her from prospering. The one where he predicted I would break her to the point of no return. I told Sam that he gave me a choice.

I had to reject her before she was too in love with me, his words not mine. In my mind she was already gone when it came to loving me. Or his other option. The one that sent my wolf on a mission to rip Martin limb from limb. He would kill her himself. Anything, he said, to keep her from being with me.

"Why didn't you kill him?" She asks, surprising the hell out of me. Her eyes are black pits, informing me that he wolf has most control right now.

"I was going to tell you all of this and ask what you wanted me to do. He is your father after all and I didn't want you to hate me for just killing him."

"And?"

"You were gone before I got to your room. And I have spent the last 2 years wondering if you'd have wanted me to kill him or not."

"Kill him."

"He is your fath-"

"Duke of he was willing to kill me, his daughter, just for being your mate, think of how he would react to Gabriella and Evangelina. They are half you. He'd kill them in a heartbeat if it is true what you told me. Kill him Duke. Or I will."