Chapter 5

"I have to go speak with Sherman before he allows us to roam his territory." They all mumble agreements and fall back into conversations as they trail behind me.

"What do you think she's doing here?" Cole asks quietly. I shrug.

"I don't care. As long as she is," I answer.

He nods and knocks on the wood door before us. My pack hangs back, down the three steps that lead up to the porch.

The door swings open to reveal a man. He bows his head when he sees me and nods to the rest of my pack. "I am Alpha Sherman's beta. Come in please. I will lead you to his office."

"My pack is going to start searching while I speak with him," I tell the beta before nodding to my pack. The nod back and start shifting to their wolf forms where they have better sense of smell.

They all run into the forest, leaving only piles of clothes as well of shards of clothes where they once stood.

The beta gives a brief nod before leading me and Cole to the third story on their four story pack house. He stops in front of double doors and knocks. From inside I hear the command to come in and Sherman's beta gestures for us to enter first before following behind and going to stand behind his Alpha. Sherman gives us a tight, forced smile and gestures for us to sit down in the two seat before his oversized desk.

"How may I help you Alpha Harris?"

I refrain from rolling my eyes and simply say, "you know why. Where is Samantha?"

He drags a hand down his face. "She's going to hate me for this," he mutters to himself.

"That doesn't matter. You don't matter. She's mine, not yours." His eyes darken in anger but he does his best to mask it.

"No offense, Duke," he spits, obviously angered by just my mere name, "but Samantha is family to us. I'm not exactly happy to just turn her into the man who gave her the worst possible pain she could experience. Especially since who haven't even gave a reason for ripping her heart out."

"I don't have to explain myself to you. She is mine, solely mine, and that's all you need to know."

He mutters to himself again, something about her not being solely mine anymore and I ignore him to prevent my wolf from ripping his throat out.

"Where is sh-" I'm cut off by the office door opening and the scent of vanilla and pineapples hitting my senses.

"Why is he here?" Samantha questions, hurt obvious in her voice. I turn in my chair to look at her. Her hip length raven hair still glistens and brings out her bright emerald eyes. Her soft pink lips are set in an unhappy line and she avoids looking at me like the plague.

I can't help the need to look into her eyes and so I can't help standing up and walking to her. She looks like she's about to cry and the sight only pushes my instinct to comfort her stronger.

I gently touch her hip opposite me, turning her body to face me. Even still, she keeps her eyes averted from me.

"Samantha," I breath out in a mixture of relief, remorse, and hurt. She shivers as I whisper her name, at the very least informing me that the mate bond still effects her as well. She finally turns her head, meeting my eyes. In her eyes I'm shown how much she hates me, misses me, and is scared of me being here. Her petite body is literally shaking in fear but I can't figure out what she's so afraid of. "Don't be scared Samantha. I won't hurt you."

"I'm not afraid for myself," she chokes out. Her eyes trail over my face, slowly adding the emotion of love to their list of feelings targeted at me.

I brush my thumb over her cheek bone and to my amazement, she leans into my touch. My excitement is short lived as she walks completely out of my arms in the next second.

"What is he doing here Alpha?" She asks again, bowing her head to Sherman. He seems extremely pleased when she does, obviously gaining more confidence from having a Luna now to him. I growl at him for treating her less than she is but he blatantly ignores me.

"He came for you Sam. But it's your decision whether to go with him or not."

I growl again. It's not a choice. I need her.

She nods. "And if I stay he will fight the pack?"

"Only if they keep you from me," I speak up. She nods again.

"I can't ask you guys to fight for me. Thank you for protecting me as you have. I won't forget your kindness."

The room is silent and her eyes are glazed over. When I look to Sherman's his are as well.

"Quit mind linking. You're coming Samantha."

She snaps her head towards me, her eyes angry. "I'm coming to save lives but I will not be your dog so don't expect me to come or sit or speak when you tell me to."

I smirk at her, finding amusement in her fire as I always have. She is small but I know better than to underestimate her. She's a fighter and she's knows it.

"Please Samantha. It's a long drive home."

"Well I'm sorry you took the journey here in the first place," she snaps. "I'll go get some things from my room and then I'll be ready Alpha," she says, dramatically curtsying to me. I laugh again, feeling live breathe itself back into me as I follow her.