chapter eight.

CHAPTER EIGHT —
( This isn't payback, is it? )

CHAPTER EIGHT —( This isn't payback, is it? )

────────────────

          Evelyn Parrish was in her element. Every week, the Howling Commandoes would go out after a HYDRA base and destroy any trace of them. They were erasing bases, one by one, and now they only had a couple more left. Evelyn was ecstatic that she was finally doing something that she always wanted to do, to fight for her country instead of standing on the sidelines and waiting for the men to do it for her.

From the moment they started fighting and going out for their missions, the Howling Commandoes never treated Evelyn like she was a porcelain doll that needed constant care. They knew her strength, they knew she'd be fine. Steve worried, though, occasionally, and would sometimes try to guard Evelyn as they came charging into a base. But she'd overcome that easily, by either proving herself with a perfect shot to the head with a sniper or taking out several HYDRA agents in one go.

They were currently walking through snow-covered woods on high alert. Evelyn was walking closely behind Steve when he suddenly froze. She bumped into his back slightly at the stop, making an 'oomph' sound. Steve turned to Evelyn and held a finger up to his mouth, causing Evelyn to stick her finger up at him. He then turned back around and threw his shield up like a frisbee towards a man hidden in a tree. Steve caught his shield when it bounced back to him and slotted it back on his arm. All of the Howling Commandoes just looked at him, in shock and in surprise.

He shrugged, "I've been practising," he said and turned around to continue walking until an explosion sounded out, forcing all of them to run towards the base. They gunned the HYDRA men, all the while trying to dodge explosions and bullets.

Evelyn ran out of ammo in her shotgun, so she would only be able to do hand-to-hand combat or use her pistol. Someone came out from behind a tree, so Evelyn charged towards him. She blocked his punch towards her head and kicked his midsection and stomped down on him, keeping him on the ground. Evelyn got her pistol out and didn't hesitate to shoot his head.

Evelyn looked up but was too late to see a knife come flying at her. The man stabbed her in her shoulder, causing Evelyn to hiss out in pain before head-butting the agent and shooting his head. Evelyn bit her lip as she pulled out the knife, looking at the blood covering it. She then looked at her wound and watched as the blood ran back up her chest and back into the cut, the cut closing itself instantly.

From the corner of her eye, she saw someone closing in on Steve from his side with an advanced weapon. Evelyn didn't hesitate to throw the knife through the air, finding its way between the man's eyes. He dropped to the floor within a second, and Steve looked over at Evelyn with wide eyes. She simply smirked at him and ran off.

Evelyn found it hard, most of the time, to be around Steve. He made her feel things that she had only ever felt about Howard, which just made her even more confused. Evelyn couldn't help but think back to what Howard said at the pub. Did she like Steve? That would explain the reason behind her constant butterfly eruption and her sweaty palms. But, was it possible, to have fallen for Steve Rogers in such a short time?