Year 1 [pt.2]

As the school year started, Draco Malfoy quickly found his niche. He became the top dog and had people following him for his every need. Hermione Granger, on the other hand, was unlucky. She had no friends, for even Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley didn't want to associate with her. Neville Longbottom was the only one who did. Draco took notice to this and felt bad for her.

"Wrong," Theo said. "Draco took no notice to her and she had more than just Longbottom for a friend."

Ginny and Blaise stared at him. "What do you mean?"

"My brother told me Neville was the only person anyone considered to be her friend. Even the other Gryffindors didn't consider her a friend till after Halloween," Ginny said.

Hermione came out on top by the end of the week. She sat by Neville in most classes. There were only two other Gryffindor first year girls. They weren't particularly interested in her because she liked books and learning. Most teachers appreciated her knowledge but one professor hated it. Professor Snape did not like Hermione, nor did she like him.

On Saturday, Hermione finally made it to the library. She would've been there sooner but she tried making friends first. Maybe the librarian was a fantastic lady.

On the first day of class and after, Draco saw the brains in Hermione. He admired her for it. She matched his level. He couldn't understand how she didn't have any friends.

Theo snorted at this comment. Blaise and Ginny looked at him suspiciously but kept quiet.

Draco took pride in Potions. He loved Snape's hate for the Gryffindors. It made him elated. Except for classes shared with Gryffindor, Draco was number one. Theodore Nott was close to his level but he didn't speak up.

He was one upped by a girl. A Gryffindor girl. Draco had never heard of the girl before and didn't know where she came from. He didn't like her one bit. The only way that the situation could get worse is if she became friends with Potter. Even he couldn't do that.

Though her being from a muggle family would be just as bad.

Young Malfoy didn't help Hermione with her problem of no friends. He watched from a far. He couldn't get the courage to speak to her. He was the first Slytherin to talk to her. He cared–just not to her face.

Theo snorted at that comment. Blaise and Ginny still didn't say anything. They were suspecting now that there was more to Theo's Hogwarts life than either knew.

Hermione was completely in love with the library. It was ginormous and larger than any other one Hermione had ever seen. She made home in a back corner away from people. She was there almost every day of the week. Madam Pince grew a small attachment to the young girl that would flourish through the years.

Sitting on the table she deemed her own, Hermione had scrolls of parchment, ink, quills, and books laying across the table. After many talks with Neville, Hermione learned there was still a lot for her to learn about wizards.

She decided to start with Quidditch. Harry Potter had recently got a position on the house team, and Hermione wanted to learn more to help him.

She dug through shelves looking through many books on Quidditch. "Those books won't help you," a voice said.

She jumped when it spoke. In front of her stood a lanky boy. She remembered him from the train. Though he was wearing Slytherin robes now. "What do you want, Bean Pole?" She snapped.

Bean Pole frowned at the name but sat down across from her anyway. "That book won't help you, Beaver. From the looks of it, you're wanting information on Quidditch. Those books are scrap."