The Asset

~ Chapter 1 ~

*  Eva's P.O.V *

  Days went by and it still didn't feel like I was living. Everything went by like I was in some sort of muddled dream that I was just floating through. I was numb to everything. I had locked myself up in my apartment the first two weeks until the land lord came in and found me sitting on the floor in front of the balcony like I had been doing ever since I left that cab. He told me that if I planned on staying then I needed to start repaying rent because after my 'disappearance' the ownership of my flat fell back to him. I had given him a nod and told him to give me a few days to get a job. Now I don't know if it was because of the state I was in or the tone of my voice that made him agree. He looked like he was about to argue but he glanced up at my face and his expression melted away. I had never seen him that lenient. 

It took me another week to finally get dressed and go out to get a job. I couldn't go back to working at the asylum. Too many memories. It's not like he ever leaves my mind or anything, its just that I'd rather leave what I've been blessed to forget forgotten. Besides, I doubt that they'd even allow me back there without Gordon or Batman forcing them to. So, I got a job at a little antiques store downtown. It's a long walk from my flat but I don't quite feel it. I was unresponsive to anything around me really. Even walking. 

It's at times like these where I really wish I had someone by my side. Someone I could finally break down to and count on them to put me back together at the end of the day. But even if I did have someone, who could ever understand?! No one mourned him. Only I did. His death wasn't even announced on any news or else they'd cheer. The whole city would be in rejoice. No funeral or weeping relatives. No one to console me and tell me that he's in a better place. He was though. He left all the suffering to me. Given our circumstances I'd rather be dead than living every day with his memories haunting me. Most people would treasure their final memories with their loved ones but not me. I'm dying to forget them all.

However if Gotham knew him the way I did, if they knew the man with the great potential for changing for the better, they'd be grieving too. 

*Anonymous P.O.V *

There was a buzzing sound filling my ears. I opened my eyes and I was strapped to the metal table again. The same one they tried to send electric shocks to brain on last week. I had managed to withstand the treatment however. The buzzing noise became louder as it closed in near my ears. I glanced down and I saw blonde hair falling from my head. Oh, how sweet of them! They're giving me a hair cut! I parted my chapped lips and ran my tongue on them. I cracked my neck to the side a little bit and the buzzing stopped.

"He's awake." One of them said.

"Good. I'll call in the chief." Another replied as he moved towards the metal door at the other end of the room and exited.

I knew what was about to happen next. They'd check if I was wiped. I heard the questions they asked another guy who was strapped next to me the last time I opened my eyes before I was given another shot. I heard a few beeps and the metal door slid open again. Two men entered in strange outfits followed by the man who was just next to me and another man in a suit.

The two men in front were dressed in a black, bullet proof looking suit. It had golden streaks running down the sides and feathers sticking out between two of the metal plates connected at the shoulders. They each had their faces covered in a mask which was attached to the body suit. It had the features of an owl and the eyes were golden glasses.

"Nice of you to finally wake up, asset." The man in the business suit said as he stood in front of me as the others went to another side of the room.

"Not really in the chatting mood, I see. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to talk." He spoke as he grabbed a metal chair and sat backwards on it in front of me

"What's your name?" He asked.

I paused for a few minutes before remembering what the other guy had said.

"I-..I don't remember." I spoke, my voice coming out raspy and hoarse.

"How unfortunate. Status? " Now that was a hard one. I struggled a bit to remember what the other guy had said until I got it.

"Attentive." I replied.

"Good. Well, these lovely fellows here will show you to our briefing room. You will then learn who you are. " He spoke as he stood up and motioned for them to take me as he exited the room.

The two men in the costumes then unlocked the metal wrists that were holding me up and pinned me down from the table. My legs felt weak and sleepy but that wasn't a problem since they dragged me anyway. They dragged me down two hallways till we reached a dark room with a big screen inside. I was tied to another chair and that's when another man came in.

I didn't focus on his introductions as I was too busy watching how the two men in the owl suits moved rhythmically back against the wall. Almost as if they were commanded to. 

"Asset?..Shall we proceed?" The man repeated in a firmer tone that made my attention divert back to him.

I nodded my head and the lights turned off and the projector started rolling on the screen. It showed files of me. The man explained to me who I was, or rather who they wanted me to be. 'Mark Waller' was supposed to be my previous 'name' before I joined the' Court of Owls' as a talon and an assassin in their favour. The video said that I was one of their best and then it started listing all my ' neutralised targets '. And damn, they were good! They've done a real professional job fabricating these files. If they wiping would've worked on me, I would most definitely buy the shit they were feeding me right now.  I smirked to myself as I glanced back at the men in the owl cost- Oh! I'm sorry, the 'talons' and remembered that they must've received this same treatment and actually bought it.

The man in front of me finished talking as the projector shut down and the lights came back on again. He straightened his file as he cleared his throat then gave me a stern look.

" I hope that you find it easy to fit right back in after your last mission. I apologise on my behalf that it went sour, but don't you worry. As soon as you're settled in, you'll get assigned to a new mission. " He spoke and I gave him my most sympathetic look as I knitted my brows together and nodded.

The man then walked around the table but stopped right next to my profile.

"You're gonna have to do a lot better at pretending if you wanna convince all of them. I knew that the wiping wouldn't work on you and I've told them. But if you were smart, you'd behave and comply and you'd most definitely stay away from that girl. Good day, Joker." He whispered to my right ear before he left.

------------------------------

Hey guyssss!!

I'm so sorry but for the wait but things kept falling apart this week but look at where we're at now!

The third book!!

I'm so excited for you guys to read the upcoming plots and to hear your comments about it throughout the book!

Honestly, it has been such a journey because the first one was my technically first book and I doubted ever making a sequel but look at where we're at!

This is kind of an introductory character for what's to come but in all honesty, I think this book will be the most action packed of the three.

I hope you like this and continue to.

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts!

Tell me what you think of the poster for this book ( which I've had so much trouble with :P )

I hope you're all having a great day.

Much love xxx