A Figment Of My Lonely Imagination

~ Chapter 2 ~

* Eva's P.O.V. *

 It's been two more weeks. It still doesn't feel like I'm living. Here I was, standing at the antique store where I spent most of my days when I wasn't curled up onto my couch. It was raining heavily outside. I senselessly drummed my fingers against the old wood of the counter that I leaned my elbow against. My eyes were on the big golden clock in front of me but my mind was somewhere else. The antique clock ticked away loudly as I dozed off. I was then suddenly yanked back to reality as the bell on top of the door rang as a customer entered.  He was in a beige trench coat and a hat was pulled over his eyes.

"Welcome, sir." I said softly and gave a small smile.

" Oh there's no need for formalities I'm sure miss Striker." A familiar British accent said as the man took off his hat and unwrapped the scarf  that was around his neck. 

I felt something get stuck in the back of my throat as I didn't know what to say. Alfred, the last person I had expected to see, was standing in front of me in a little antique shop on the other side of Gotham from where we both lived.

"H-how'd you find me.." It came out softer than a whisper.

"Well I didn't. He did." He gave me a smile as he leaned forward on the counter as well.

"He wanted me to check up on you, Eva." He said in a more serious tone.

"Are you alright? Truly Eva? You know you're always welcome to stay with us." He continued.

"I'm doing okay. Thank you for coming down here, Alfred. Tell him I'm okay, there's no need to worry." I replied.

He stared at me doubtfully for a few moments before turning his gaze down to the counter. And I was very thankful he did because God knows that if he would've stared at me like that for another second that I would've broken down.

"W-well.. anytime you feel like coming over or need someone to talk to, just know that you're always welcome. Even if master Bruce isn't home, I'll still brew you a cup of tea and I'll sit and yap with you about anything and everything your heart feel like yapping about." He said as he gave me the sweetest smile that I've ever seen in a long time.

"Thank you so much, Alfred. Truly." I said as I put my hands on his across the counter.

"Don't ever mention it, Eva. You're just as much my responsibility as Master Bruce is." He replied as he brought a hand up to my left ear and ruffled my hair a bit.

"I'll come back to visit you later." He gave me one last smile before grabbing his trench coat and hat and leaving again.

* Joker's P.O.V *

Everyday it was all the same. Wake up, get into that ridiculous training outfit, train, eat, go back to my chambers. 

Not being able to be myself was killing me. The man I had met from my 'briefing meeting' was always there. Always watching. As if he was waiting to fault me. I wasn't going to let him though. Not that easily, at least. I had adapted myself to fit in. The way I talked, the way I walked, the way I fought in training, and even the way I glanced at things. 

Most of the men that were here looked like their brains had just been fried and that they could most probably walk into the nearest wall. That was of course, before they were given an order. As soon as they were, everything about them changed. Their structure straightened and their eyes seemed only focused on what they were tasked to do.