Chapter 2: The Morning After

I had spent the night at Bucky's place, despite my protests. He didn't care that after coming out to each other some other boys from our school started throwing rocks at the window from outside the diner. He let me borrow some clothes that were way to big on me and we fell asleep watching old movies on his couch. We completely forgot there was school tomorrow, and by the time we woke it was so late, we just decided to skip.

His parents were out of town for a couple weeks, so we were all by ourselves. We made breakfast at 1 in the afternoon and soon after I went home to be greeted by my frantic mother.

________________________________

"Where we're you?!" She half screamed at me when I walked through the front door. And then I remembered. I hadn't called or texted or told her where I was going to be. No wonder she was so worried.

"Okay, I know this looks bad, but I can explain," I started slowly watching the worry in her eyes transform into anger. She didn't explode like any other parent would have, though. She sat there, boiling with rage. Her expression told me there was no way I was getting out of this.

"After we dropped the girls off, we went to a diner ad then I stayed at Bucky's house for the night." I held my breath.

"You missed school for a sleepover?"

"Yes, ma'am," I said respectfully.

"No more, okay? And your grades better not drop," she said walking to her office.

I breathed easily again. It was 3 in the afternoon, so school was already over, so I went straight to my room and finished the homework I had been putting off for days. I got distracted when my phone rang.

From: Bucky

Hey so you have fun last night :D

My heartbeat quickened. No, I did not have a crush on him. He just made me sort of nervous. With his eyes, and his smile, and his perfect hair, and...

No. Even though he was potentially into guys, there was no way he was into me. I was just a friend. The awkward, nerdy friend of the cool kid. It took twenty minutes to come up with something to say back at him, but it ended up sounding like trash. I decided to just be honest.

To Bucky:

I had fun at the diner and afterwards. The beginning was okay.

I hit send and tossed my phone on my bed. I wasn't going to dwell on it too much, but despite what I had told myself, I spent the next ten minutes sitting at my desk thinking of every possible scenario in my head. I was interupted by a beep.

From Bucky:

Yeah it wasn't the best date. Maybe next time, just the two of us?

My heart beat quickened. Of course, he couldn't mean it like that, but a small part of me hoped. Hoped that maybe he liked me.

To Bucky:

Yeah, that sounds nice.

I tried to finish my homework, but my mind was too distracted to try. In the end I just went to sleep with the biggest smile on my face.