Tendrils

Luckily, I wasn’t forced to travel in Thomas’s shoe on the bike as he rode home. My vantage point from his backpack gave me a perfect (and comfortable) view of the countryside. It was the first time I’d been outside in two months. I refused to waste that precious time. When Thomas pulled into his driveway and parked his bike, his hand came over me and tugged me out of the coarse backpack material. I exhaled sharply as the air was pushed from my lungs and gritted my teeth in pain as I was dropped back into his pocket. I don’t think I can get used to Thomas’s grip. I am pretty damn sure that he doesn’t understand the concept of one: pain and two: dignity. I decided not to retort about it though and was silent as he dropped me into the soft polar fleece of the pocket. Thomas shouldered the shopping bags he’d brought and waved to his foster mum, Julie. The plump woman smiled and returned the gesture. She didn’t notice the slight bulge in Thomas’s chest pocket, to my relief. Thomas brushed past her and strode casually into his room. His room. A place so familiar and so incredibly boring I almost gagged upon entering. He traipsed across the room and dropped lazily onto his bed. My stomach did a backflip inside me and I choked on my own puke. It was like a wild rollercoaster ride.

“Um… Thomas?” I said as he lay on his back on the bed and closed his eyes. I chewed on the inside of my lip and tentatively crawled out of the pocket so that I was standing on his chest. I could feel the vibrating rhythm of his heart beneath me. I have to admit, since I’ve never actually stood on someone’s chest before, it was quite a surreal experience, but I guess you could say I’m used to most ‘big’ things by now. “Thomas?” I asked again, fumbling with my nails. His eyes fluttered open and narrowed in on me.

“Aww… Amy...” He croaked. “F-f-forgot about you.” I peered up at his face worriedly. He looked flushed and sweat beaded down his forehead.

“Are you ok?” I asked. He blinked a few times and I felt his chest rise and fall beneath me as he took a few deep breaths.

“Yeah, I think so.” Thomas tugged his jumper off and threw it on the floor of his room. He rubbed his forehead and I caught a glimpse of something black under his arm.

“What is that?” I pointed to the tendril-like thing on his arm. It was sort of like a black snake moving under his skin. I watched it twitch as he moved his arm away. Thomas grunted and pulled his sleeve over the black.

“Nothing.” He muttered. He reached out to grab me but I saw it coming and did an extremely sloppy backflip to dodge the car sized hand. I landed on my seat about ten centimetres away from my previous position and folded my arms. Thomas sighed and retracted his own arm away from me.

“You know, you gotta tell a girl before you make a grab for her.” I joked. Thomas rolled his eyes wearily.  

“I just want to be alone.” He muttered.

“I’ll only leave you alone if you tell me what that black thing on your arm is.” I said firmly. Thomas snorted.

“I can make you leave me alone, you know.” He smiled wryly. Colour drained from my face but I simply sighed.

“Whatever. It’s your choice, big guy.”

“Big guy?”

“I have the legal write to state my opinions.” I told him calmly as I sat down cross legged on his chest.

“I’m not fat, Amy.” He smiled a little at my remark.

“I didn’t say fat. I said big. As in, Thomas is about ten to 20 times bigger than me.” I mused. He rolled his eyes again. “So,” I said as I rolled over onto my belly and lay down while facing him. I know this would be traumatizing to any normal person- lying on someone’s chest. But as I said, I don’t exactly know any different. “What is the thing on your arm?” Thomas flinched at my question as if he’d been slapped.