Later That Day

"Why, Hiccup! How you've grown, I'm sure into a fine young dragon-slayer! Like your father, oh, I remember, his engagement present to your mother was a beautiful chestplate of dragon's scales, all that he had harvested himself. And his family's—your family's—wedding present! It was marvelous! The heart of a Nightmare dragon—dragon's hearts look like crystals, did you know that?—oh, it was beautiful..." Birdclipper said, setting slightly burned burlap burdens of Burgundy on the floor (he had recently traveled to Francsland). He sighed. "Those were the good old days," he said, resting on a bench. Stoick had already gone to sleep.

"Oh, um, sure," Hiccup ventured, not sure how to finish his sentence, "a dragon-slayer. Yep. That's me! Yes. Yessiree."

Grandfather Birdclipper looked a bit confused, but Hiccup could live with that.

"So, Hiccup! What kind of dragon did you murder—"

A chorus of a hundred different bat-like squeaks emerged in the air outside the house.

Birdclipper slowly but surely waddled outside. "What is going on? That sounds like—dragons."

Hiccup followed him outside. The dragons had escaped. A sea of scales—ocean blue and flowery pink and shimmering silver—illuminated the stars, enveloping the sky. Townspeople stood shouting below.

"Soulrobber! Come here!"

"Magnetspeed! Magnetspeed!"

"Odinner! Odinner!"

Birdclipper screamed, "KILL THEM ALL, YOU MORONS! KILL THE DRAGONS!" and reached for his axe, throwing it up at the collections of starry wings, only to find it zoom through a gap in their bodies. Hiccup sighed. He knew what he had to do.

"Grandfather? There's something I have to tell you," Hiccup said firmly. "In this village, we don't kill dragons."

Birdclipper laughed. "You're kidding, right? Hiccup! Always a laugh—"

"No," Hiccup sighed, "no, I'm not. Toothless!"

Toothless swooped down.

"This is my friend," Hiccup said, "This is my best friend." Birdclipper waited for his axe to return from the stars, catching it perfectly.

"Hiccup," Birdclipper closed his eyes, setting his axe into the ground with a thunderous shake, "you are friends with a dragon that has killed a hundred or more townspeople, slaughtering them without mercy."

"Grandpa, I am related to a man that has killed a hundred or more dragons, slaughtering them without mercy," Hiccup spit back at him. His grandfather narrowed his eyes at him.

"It's an occupational requirement," Birdclipper claimed, walking away from Hiccup. "I—have somewhere to go, Hiccup. I'm going to leave tomorrow morning."

Hiccup looked down at his feet. "All right."