Chapter 2~The Nazgul

All were asleep, all except for one Hobbit, Strider and I, as we waited for the enemy to reach us. Suddenly there were loud bangs that filled the silent air, the sound coming from another room and I knew the enemy fell for the trick we played on them. Strider and I thought it wise to set up a room and to make it seem as if the Hobbits were fast asleep.

Strider kept his gaze to the outside world, not even blinking, for he feared that if he closed his eyes, even for a second, something bad will happen. The loud banging stopped, soon followed by screeching of the upset wraiths. The loud screeching scared the sleeping Hobbits from their peaceful slumber and they sat upright in panic.

“What are they?” Frodo asked as he turned his head away from the windows to look at the two Rangers. “They were once men…great kings of man. Then Sauron, the deceiver, gave to them nine Rings of Power.” Strider began the story of the wraiths, pausing then looking to me to continue the story.

“Blinded by their greed, they took them without question…One by one they fall into darkness.” I said and the loud wailing of the wraiths could again be heard. “Now they are slaves to his will.” Strider said as he looked at the retreating forms of the wraiths. “They are the Nazgul…” he said looking to the Hobbits once more.

“Ringwraiths…neither living nor dead.” I finished and the room fell into silence. All that could be heard was the fading wails of the Nazgul. “At all times they feel the presence of the Ring, drawn to the power of the one…they will never stop hunting you.” Strider said and looked at me. I looked at the Hobbits. “Go back to sleep dear Hobbits. We leave early in the morning.” I said and the Hobbits nodded and went back to sleep.

xxx

The next morning I rose before the others. I took one look at the Hobbits and another towards Strider then I left the room. The pub was silent. A few men laid on the floor, unconscious from drinking too much the previous night, some were too lazy to make effort to get to their rooms. Treading carefully through the piles of unconscious bodies, I made my way into the kitchen and took a few pieces of bread for I knew the Hobbits will be hungry when they wake up. Grabbing a few coins from my pocket, I places at where the bread previously was.

Threading over the bodies, again. I made my back to our room only to smile when I saw Strider struggling to wake the sleeping Hobbits. “You know, you really do have a soft side brother.” I said and Strider shot me a fake glare. “Whatever do you mean sister.” He said and I pointed at the Hobbits. “You can easily wake them with force but you chose to be gentle.” I said.

I put the bread on a table in the corner of the room and walked toward the Hobbits. “Wake up dear Hobbits.” I said in a gentle tone but the only response I got was loud snoring. “See they are quite stubborn, more so in their sleep.” Strider said with a smile. “Yes they are.” I replied with a smirk on my face. “WAKE UP YOU STUBBORN HOBBITS!!!” I yelled into their minds causing them to shoot up from bed staring at me in shock.

“What was that?” Pippin asked as he rubbed his head. “That dear Pippin is something only Helen and her mother can do.” Strider said. “Now that you are up, grab your things. We will be leaving shortly.” I said gathering my weapons.

xxx

We were making our way over a large grassland, making haste to not be caught by the searching Ringwraiths. “Where are you taking us?” Frodo asked the question he was dying to asked since we left Bree. “Into the wild.” Was Strider’s short reply. Strider walked in front to keep a lookout for any danger while I stayed with the Hobbits.

I kept my distance, just to give them some privacy but my ears still caught their hushed whispers between one another. “How do we know this Strider and Helen are friends of Gandalf?” One of the Hobbits asked causing me to roll my eyes at them. “We have no choice but to trust them.” Came Frodo’s reply to the worried Hobbit.
“We are friends dear Hobbits. We will not let harm come your way if we can prevent it. I give you my word.” I told them with a reassuring smile. They instantly lightened up. “But where are you leading us? Sam asked me when he walked next to me. “To Rivendell, master Gamgee.” Strider yelled from the from the top of the hill. “To the house of Elrond.”

“Did you hear that? Rivendell. We’re going to see the Elves.” Sam said very excited. I chuckled at his wonder for Elves. “Wait! How did he even hear me?” Sam asked causing me to laugh out loud. “I have wonderful hearing Hobbit but not as good as Helen’s.” My brother answered the Hobbit. Suddenly it started pouring. I gave a sigh and pulled my hood over my face and pulled the cloak tighter to keep myself warm from the biting cold.

xxx

After a long walk the landscape lost its trees and a thin layer of snow was covering the crass. The whispering of the Hobbits and the absence of their presence caused Strider and I to turn around only to see them unpacking the pony, named Bill.

“Gentlemen!” Strider called out to them. “They all looked up at once. Once Strider was sure he had their attention he continued. “We do not stop till nightfall!”

“But what about breakfast?” Merry asked leaving me confused. They already had breakfast. I saw them devouring the bread I gave them. “You already had it.” Strider said as if he read my thoughts. “We had one yes…but what about second breakfast?” Pippin asked in a sweet and innocent voice.

I rolled my eyes at them and out of the corner of my eye I could see Strider’s irritated face. I put my hand encouragingly on his shoulder as I passed him. He gave me a look of pure annoyance causing me to chuckle. “Do not worry brother, you are doing a wonderful job.” I said

“I don’t think he knows about second breakfast Pip.” I heard Merry tell his cousin. “What about Elevenses…! Luncheons…!! Afternoon tea…!!! He knows about them, doesn’t he?” Pip said in a panic. “I wouldn’t count on it.” Merry said to his cousin in an annoyed tone.

I walked under a large tree, carrying red apples. I jumped and grabbed one just as Strider threw one at Merry . I smiles at the affection he had for the Hobbits. Merry looked at the apple in his hand and put his hand on Pip’s shoulder, as he walked by him. I threw the apple to Strider, who without looking, threw it over a large tree and hit an unexpected Pip against the forehead. Pip looked up into the sky, thinking it’s raining apples. The look on his face made me laugh and I sprint towards Strider who had an amused look on his face.