Chapter 2: Sudden Circumstance

"No."

I said without a hint of hesitation.

Taking advantage of the short silence that followed after, probably because she could not fully process my reply, I start walking away from her and this troublesome alleyway. It's only right to leave troublesome people alone.

Yes, I think I said something good there.

"Eh!? So quick!?"

Naturally.

That 'invitation' just now, might as well have held up a large sign that had the words 'Extremely Troublesome' on it, since it was just that obvious. I had even felt a slight chill on the back of my neck after hearing the absurd proposal.

As I was surprised at how quickly her brain had already digested my quick reply, I unconsciously made my steps longer, and my walking speed a little bit faster than usual. It's not because I was scared or anything.

It's just that I thought I would have already lost her by the time she realised that I had refused her.

Man, today has been full of miscalculations.

Are my senses getting that dull nowadays?

No, that shouldn't be the case. I make sure to train myself every morning as to maintain my body and mind, to hone my techniques in rendering opponents unable to move or completely disabling them once the time comes.

You might be thinking that there's no point to all of this since I was living in peaceful Japan.

But.

You couldn't be even farther from the truth.

In fact, the whole reason I'm doing all of this is to avoid troublesome situations that can happen any moment.

Yes.

This country is anything but peaceful!

At least for me it is.

I don't know how it is for normal people my age, but from childhood I was dragged all around the country by my shitty old man and my doting older brother, doing questionable and most of all, troublesome things.

Most of those situations included dealing with large amounts of people who were each individually dangerous, and together a nightmare to deal with. And for some reason, whenever we clashed, they would show unbelievable anger and determination to fight back. So, it was a pain to beat them all up without killing them.

Of course, I had killed people before.

The first time was slightly depressing, but the ones after that felt like it was natural.

Criminals, Traitors, Serial Killers, Rogue Military Soldiers, and many more like that.

By the time I was in middle school, I had racked up quite a list.

I don't feel any remorse nor regret for it though.

In the world under the normal shackles of society, killing people was as natural as breathing.

Even still, compared to the world in my memories, this world's killing was lukewarm.

Well, there were no monsters here on Earth after all.

As my thoughts wandered somewhat, I heard a voice interrupting my thoughts.

"...w...Wait! You're walking too fast....I can't catch up!"

Obviously.

If I stop, I'll get dragged into something troublesome again so I have to walk faster.