Chapter 4: Small Hope

One of the few things I am fond of is my desk.

It's not that different from the others but its mine.

The smooth, flat surface of wood feels pleasant to the touch, and it doesn't irritate my skin. While the slight aroma of nature is present whenever I lay my head down in times of relaxation.

The desk's location is optimal as well.

Just beside the open window at the very back of the classroom, a perfect place to feel the cool winds of autumn and observe the falling leaves change colour.

But most importantly, it is the perfect place to take nice mid morning, afternoon and during class naps.

With the pillow I've meticulously chosen hid under the table portion, a godly feature I might add, I spend my days in class in utmost comfort.

Indeed.

There are really things in this world that are worth the effort to do. Once you feel the perfect softn-

"Kurokami! Stop sleeping in my class!"

My thoughts get interrupted as I detect a moving object flying towards me at a high speed with horrifyingly pinpointed accuracy.

I quickly let my reflexes take over and move my head a bit to the left, avoiding a small white powdery object which might've been a piece of chalk.

Of course, I could not see it clearly since it was faster than usual. But mostly because my head was still laying on the pillow. This is a matter of course.

A light sound of a chip breaking behind me was heard. Following that, a series of slow claps come from all around the classroom.

"Uwah, that's even faster than yesterday! As expected of sensei. It still hit nothing though."

A light-hearted voice said.

"Idiot. Kurokami-kun will never get hit. Without his permission, I doubt even retired soldiers like sensei will manage to graze him with a bullet."

A self-confident voice rebutted.

"Are you seriously saying that. No human can dodge a bullet. You've been reading too much manga."

A mocking voice resounds soon after.

"Nope, I just blindly believe in Kurokami-kun, no, Kurokami-sama's abilities. My intuition is never wrong! So you can put a sock in it."

The previous self-confident voice turned arrogant.

"Eh, what's with that!? I'll have you kno-"

With that as the trigger, the class erupts into fervent discussion. This happens almost everyday though.

There is no need for any recognition.

It is nothing to be amazed about.

That's what I want to say but it's too troublesome to talk to my classmates so I just continue sleeping.

They can bicker all they want about me.

"Enough! What have you all been saying? It's not that I haven't hit him, but I intentionally missed! I just didn't want Kurokami to be sent to the clinic. That's all, so all of you be quiet."