Chapter Three

I leaped out of bed and grabbed my bag. I can't risk my family finding out about...that. I need to run away before they literally kill me.

I piled my bag full with the basic necessities. Hmm... I have my clothes, extra shows, my dagger, my helmet... I don't have food. I'm going to have to sneak into the kitchen and grab some food so I can get out of this place.

I grabbed my boots, but I didn't put them on. I mean, my boots are LOUD. I then slowly pulled open my door and started to sneak down to the kitchen. Then it happened.

The stair creaked so loud that I couldn't hear myself think. And since it's the dead of the night, it's very natural for my family to think that I'm an intruder.

My brother came barging down the stairs and fear enveloped me. The stairs suddenly burst we into flames and I leaped backwards. My family members were at the top of the staircase, staring at me. Fear began squeezing at my throat and I found it difficult to breathe.

My father jumped carelessly over the fire and charged towards me with a sword. My eyes widened and I quickly slipped into my boots.. I started to run for my life. I got to the back door and I yanked it open. Dropping my bag, I increased my running speed. Good thing I have good stamina.

Pain suddenly struck my back. I grabbed the arrow jutting out my back and pulled it out. Other arrows pierced the air beside me. I reached the forest and the amount of arrows chasing me slowed.

Since it's dark, you can't really blame me for what happened next.

That's right, I ran into a tree. I collapsed onto the ground and held my head in my hands. I need a break. My eyes began to close and I was soon in a deep slumber.
⚫️⚫️⚫️
I was woken up by voices. LOUD voices.

"We'll find her, and when we do, we can kill her." An unfamiliar voice said.

"Yeah, but it still boggles my mind with the fact that there can be a Rider after all these years. The last known Rider died thirty years ago." A female voice said.

The crunching of leaves grew louder as they came closer and closer. Fools. If they want to catch me, they have to be quieter. I scaled a tree with haste and watched the people from above. Wait...I know one of them!

My eyes widen as I see my friend Shakera walking next to a burly man holding a sword. I can understand why she would turn on me like this. It's simple, I'm the next Dragon Rider. My family and friends are devoted to killing dragons and their Riders. It all makes sense, and Shakera LOVES killing things. When we were little, she laughed when she saw a dead cat on the road. Another time, a bird flew at her window, died, and she kept it. She kept it.

Back to the matter at hand. I waited until they left the area so I could keep moving. I slithered down the tree (like a snake!) and kept walking. Steering clear of leaves, I made sure that I didn't make any noises. Shakera and the man are still close by and I can not get caught.

Looking down at the ground, I realized that I almost stepped on a leaf. Oops. I sidestepped it and continued onwards. I don't know exactly where I'm going, but I know that I need to find my dragon. Well he's not 'mine' but-

Oomph! Dang it, I ran into another tree. I look up and realized...

That's not a tree.

That's Ashton Barker.

A/N

Hahahahaha get it?!

She thought he was a tree but he really is Ashton BARKer!

No, you don't get it? Okay...☹️

Thanks for reading my lovelies, and have a great day or night, wherever you are in this insane world of Wattpad!