4. Bloody Country

It had been around twenty one years since the great accident. The accident of the Rao family.

Aakash was just three years old when both his parents died in a car accident. Mr. and Mrs. Rao were on the way to celebrate Aakash's fourth birthday. But instead of receiving a lovely gift, he received the deadly news of the death of his parents.

After the big news, Aakash was an orphan. There weren't any records of any remaining family, so,  some close friends of the family took Aakash in. Aakash stayed with the Mehra's for seven months, until the family decided to adopted her.

The Mehra family had a daughter and a son. Kyra and Aryan Mehra were the two jewels of the household. Kyra and Aakash got along very well, only Aryan was the problem. Aryan was never home; therefore the distant relationship with Aakash and the rest of the family.

Up until now, everything was perfect. Aakash was a DJ and had successfully made his career. Kyra was a professional dancer and a part time yoga instructor. And Aryan–he spent his days training for martial arts and dancing. His parents thought he was a successful architect, only he had no job.

It was a hard life that they were living, but they were all happy, and that's all that mattered.

But then the attacks started. Bombs were going off everywhere. It wasn't safe for the Mehra's anymore. The family had all their bags packed. They had planned out how to escape. They were ready to leave. Only they had to wait for the right opportunity.

Only they waited too long...

✿✿✿

"Aakash!" screamed Kyra. She was in her room of the two story house. Something was wrong, and Aryan and Aakash were downstairs playing a classic game of pull. At first it was hard to hear anything that was going on around them as the speakers were blasting with music, but after a while the boys turned the blasting sound off. They could hear a pounding sound from outside and Kyra's distress call.

"Kyra, is everything alright?" asked a concerned Aryan.

There was no response–only silence.

Aakash was busy looking out of the living room window, there was something happening outside and whatever was happening, it didn't sound good.

Aryan made himself useful and made his way upstairs. Each step of the way was more and more suspenseful but he still kept going.

He saw her. She was just standing there, pointing outside her window. She turned around to face Aryan and mouthed two words, as if she was mute; Run and Gun.

Aryan was not going anywhere, especially since Kyra had said 'Gun'.

The gunshots were not as loud as Aryan had anticipated. The metal fragments, spiralling through the air, pierced Kyra's chest and torso without consideration, without real meaning or relevance, and with more speed than the fastest of living things. The small wounds in her flesh leaked blood much like the way crying eyes leak tears. Aryan was stunned to see his sister on the verge of death. Everything was happening all too fast, and the world was spinning.

"Aryan!" called out Aakash from downstairs. He had obviously heard a loud bang from Kyra's room. Aakash made his way up the stairs. One step at a time made Aryan more and more conscious.

"Aa-k-a-sh," trembled a very nervous Aryan.

"What happen–" He was cut off by the site in front of him–his sister.

"What do we do?" asked Aryan as he kneeled down on the floor looking into Kyra's eyes which still had some life left in them.

"What we have to do is leave," Aakash said, "leave this bloody country."

"Amma and Appa have already organised a way for us to escape, grab Kyra and make your way towards the port. I'll meet you on the ship with all our bags," stated Aryan, giving off a very stern glance at what was happening outside.

"Okay, but where are Amma and Appa?" Aakash was concerned and he needed answers. He would keep asking Aryan, no matter what it would take.

"They aren't coming Aakash..." His voice was quiet and lowered. He sounded disappointed and ashamed of the secret he had kept from Aakash.

"What do you me–"

"I don't want to hear it man, just do as I say!" yelled Aryan, clearly frustrated and angry at Aakash. Aakash did as his brother said. He didn't have any energy to argue with him, and right now, escaping and getting to safety was the main goal; not sorting out 'brotherly' issues.

Aakash made his way towards Kyra and picked her up with two arms around her. He had to be careful with her, she had already lot a lot of blood. Aakash started making his way out of the room when he was stopped by Aryan.

"Goodbye, brother," smiled Aryan. It was a genuine smile. The handshake that followed afterwards was firm and solid. It was a very warm and sincere feeling for both Aryan and Aakash.

"I'll see you soon, brother," Aakash smiled back, "be careful–don't die." he joked and then continued walking out of the house.