TWELVE.

just before we start, someone messaged me yesterday saying that this was their favorite criminal minds fic and i swear to you i started crying. god, i love you guys, thank you so much for everything.

 god, i love you guys, thank you so much for everything

TWELVE ; CITY OF ANGELS.

Planes had always been an odd concept to Quinn. The metal birds in the sky could only fly if they were able to take off correctly. They had to go against the wind to ascend to new heights.

It was an odd comparison, but Quinn Carson realized that she herself was an airplane. She too would have to go against opposing forces to prove that she could soar.

Quinn sat on an arm of a chair next to Callahan, flipping through the case's file with the rest of the team. Pictures of the crime scene were binder clipped to the manila folder and details were listed in the back of the pile.

"Mad Butcher," Callahan said, glancing down at the file. "Hundred bucks we have the media to thank for that one."

"Well, it is Los Angeles, they make everything a spectacle," JJ joked, smiling at Callahan softly.

"I'm sure he's getting off on it," Callahan stated.

JJ nodded. "They always do."

"He spared the second victim of mutation, but the first and latest are covered," Morgan noted, looking up at the group. "There's no clear purpose. Maybe he's experimenting."

"Or he's trying to remove something that will identify his victims, like tattoos, birthmarks," Callahan countered.

Rossi frowned and shook his head. "It's still hard to believe that we can't identify the torso. I mean, back in the day, I get it. But now, everyone might as well have a microchip." Derek laughed to himself, shaking his head in subtle agreement.

"Cutting the first victim seems extreme. I wonder if he's linked to him somehow," JJ said, glancing to her right.

"None of the victims matched any missing person reports and were likely chosen for their anonymity. Uh, southern California is known for its transient community," Spencer spoke up.

Derek nodded. "Going after high-risk victims makes sense for this guy. There's nothing about him that's particularly unique."

"Except that he first attacked a male and then moved on to females," Rossi added.

"Which is strange, because a fantasy this advanced is usually specific to one type," Callahan pointed out.

"Well, there was no DNA left on his male victim, so it isn't overly sexual like his other victims," JJ spoke.

"So it was either a victim of opportunity or a necessity," Kate voiced.

Quinn's voice was heard for the first time. "It could have been practice. The guy had to make sure what he was doing was going to work before he could move on to his real targets."