OUT FOR BLOOD - CHAPTER 13 - Angry Vampire

CHAPTER 13:

JADEN'S POV:

After Catalina goes to sleep, I do something I swore to myself that I wouldn't do. I used mind control to keep her asleep until I wake her up this evening. I go down the elevator to my apartment. So much for showing it to Catalina tonight. I feel guilty about using my powers on Catalina to keep her here longer. I also feel bad about using the pleasure she gets from the bite against her.

I lay down to rest for the day. Only this one time, I tell myself. I just need to keep her here until tonight, when we can talk everything out.

When I wake up after dusk, I hurry to get ready for the night. I take the elevator up to Catalina's apartment. I need to hurry and wake her up, otherwise she may be suspicious as to why she slept so late. I enter the apartment and go down the hallway to the master bedroom.

As I enter the room, I am shocked to see that someone else is also there. On the bed, straddling Catalina is Jessica and it takes me a second to register what she is doing. She is holding a pillow over Catalina's face, trying to suffocate her. I leap onto the bed behind Jessica and snap her neck.

I throw her body to the floor and take the pillow off of Catalina's face. I am frantic. Please let her be alright. Her breathing is shallow, but she's still alive. I look down at Jessica's dead body on the floor. First human I've ever killed, but I don't regret it. I would kill anyone who tried to hurt Catalina, human or vampire. The psychotic bitch was trying to kill Catalina, she deserved it. I've had to hurt humans in the past to protect myself or others, but never actually kill them. I really didn't have to kill Jessica now, I could have just pushed her off Catalina, but I couldn't risk her trying something like this again.

Catalina didn't wake up while Jessica was trying to suffocate her and she still hasn't woken up because I put her into a hypnotic sleep. She could have died, all because she was unable to fight back. I could have gotten her killed because of my need to keep her near me. Sure, it's mostly Jessica's fault, but I am partially to blame for my selfishness and my crazy ex-girlfriend.

How did she get in here anyways? The only thing I can think of, is that maybe she conned the contractor or decorator out of a key when they were working on the place. I'll definitely need to get the locks changed. It was careless of me to not think of it before.

Once Catalina is breathing normally again, in the deep way that humans do when they sleep, I grab Jessica's body and haul it down to my apartment. I put it in a closet, to dispose of later, then I go back up the elevator to wake Catalina up. What would she think if she knew that I just killed my first human to save her life? Or the fact that I helped put her in jeopardy in the first place? She would probably leave and never come back.

I go over to where she is laying on the bed and release her from the hypnotic sleep. She slowly starts to wake up. I know that she is going to be pretty groggy for awhile.

I'm worried that she'll suspect something, "I didn't expect to find you still asleep. You must have been pretty tired."

She stretches out on the bed and reminds me of the nickname that I sometimes call her, 'Kitty Cat'. She gets a confused look on her face and says, "Yeah, I never sleep that long. How long has it been dark?"

"Not long," I say nervously. I lean down and kiss her and she kisses me back. That's a good sign.

When I pull back up, she scowls at me, "Hey! I'm still mad at you for last night." If she only knew. I'd be a dead vamp for sure. Fire and ash.

"What about?" I ask innocently.

She rolls over onto her side and props her head up with one arm. "Well, let's see. First, there's you interfering and not letting me execute that vampire last night. Then, there's you pouncing on me and biting my breast when you knew full well that I was pissed at you."