ii || abandoned house

Almost immediately after we introduced ourself, Draco was back on his feet. "We have to leave here. And fast. They started tracking all of the magic use recently so they'll be coming. I jumped between a few places before bringing us here so it should at least slow them down," he said matter-of-factly, grabbing my hand to help me up.

I gaped at him, getting up whilst my leg throbbed almost intolerably. "You act like I should know what those words mean."

Draco sighed again. He seemed to be doing that a lot. "I guess I should probably explain... How about we get out of here first, before the Death Eaters come to kill us, and then I'll explain. Does that sound alright to you?"

I shrugged and followed him. We were in the middle of a field that was just outside a village. Little houses and shops sat in a cluster and people walked the streets, paying us no mind. With a pang, I realized that it looked a lot like my village. I wondered what my parent's would say about my sudden disappearance and what everyone would do about the shops being destroyed. So much was left behind in just a few seconds. 

We made our way to the village, blending in with the townspeople as I followed Draco to wherever it was that he was taking me. I wanted so badly to ask, to feed my desire to know something, but I held it back. I would find out soon enough.

And I did. We headed up the walkway to the one house that was ugly enough to bring down the value of the rest of the village. The brick red paint on the wood structure was almost entirely peeled off, the door was only hanging by one hinge, four out of the five windows were busted and the inside was painted with graffiti. It smelled like spray paint and trash.

It was my turn to sigh. "Are we seriously going to stay here?" I complained.

"We don't exactly have much choice. If you have better idea then, by all means, speak up."

I followed him into the abandoned house. The inside was decaying and probably held about five types of mold within the walls. There was one big room with nothing to signal that that was any different when it was an inhabitable space. The leftover parts from the stove and washer stuck out of the floor and there was a hole in the wall where I dryer would have went. The left hand corner of the ceiling was completely charred. Pieces of trash were scattered across the floor and 'wankers' was painted across an entire wall.

"Lovely," I mumbled, astounded that I was in this situation. My adrenaline was waning and a wave of exhaustion and disbelief washed over me. Here I was, with a complete stranger who apparently had special powers, preparing to spend the night in an abandoned house in God knows where, after just having killed or injured three grown men. This could only happen to me.

Draco took it upon himself to sit in a holey arm chair that had been left by the previous owner. I let him have it since there was a pungent smell of mildew wafting from it. I opted for the floor, sliding down the damp wall behind me and landing on an empty McDonalds cup, which I promptly moved. "So, are you going to explain now?"

"I said I would, so I will. But it'll take awhile."

I gestured to our surroundings. "It doesn't look like I have much else to do. Look, I'm trusting that you aren't a murderer so the least you can do is give me a little information."

His eyes closed for a moment and he let out a deep breath. When he opened them again, his gray eyes looked tired. They were such a stark contrast from my almost black eyes. I was instantly jealous, always coveting those who had light irises. "I'm a wizard," he said abruptly, snapping me out of my trance.

I laughed instinctively, which is what I always did in an uncomfortable situation. "Right."

"Did you not see the fight back there? With my wand?" he said, picking his stick back up and showing it to me. "I know you're a muggle but I mean, c'mon. What else could explain what just happened?"