xix || fights

I was asked to put a synopsis before this chapter to catch everyone up on where the story is since it's been so long since I uploaded. It may be helpful to read the previous chapter first if it's been a while since you've read it. But before this, Layla was asked by Harry to find guns for everyone and teach them how to use them. So she went to her ex boyfriend, Jackson, to use his connections to get a lot of firearms. They went to a few gangsters and Layla lost her temper with them and they started to shoot. George apparated with her to camp then went back to get Jackson and the guns and when they came back, they had been shot. This is after that. Sorry for the ridiculously long wait. Hope you enjoy (:

I couldn't speak. My vocal chords seemed to have evaporated in the heat of the moment. All I could see was red. Even when I closed my eyes, there it was. Blood everywhere. I struggled to breath.

Every one around me was in action. Hermione was hunched over George while Bill was leaning by Jackson, mumbling some kind of spell. But I knew it was useless. I killed them. This was all my fault.

A hand was on my back but I didn't look to see who it belonged to. I couldn't make my neck turn. Whoever it was lifted me up to a standing position but as soon as they let go, my body fell into their chest. "Are you hurt?" It was Neville.

I couldn't answer. "I think she might've hit her head," he told someone. "She's not responsive at all."

"Maybe she's in shock," someone else said. Maybe I was in shock. But wouldn't I be numb?

"Listen, Layla, they're going to be okay. Hermione and Bill know what they're doing." Okay, maybe they would be fine. Maybe I was just being irrational. "See," Neville pointed and I struggled to make myself look. "They're carrying your friend inside now. He's fine."

I inhaled deeply, my lungs were aching for it. Jackson was okay. Finally my muscles cooperated as I turned my head to find George. Hermione was frantically waving her wand over his chest while blood still spilled out onto the ground beneath him. In the second that I watched, her eyes went from concentration to wide with freight. "Bill!" she shouted. "He's not breathing!"

That's when my lights went out.

I woke up in a bed. There were voices all around me but I couldn't focus on one long enough to understand what they were saying. What had just happened? I struggled make sense of the hazy fog that was my mind. We went to get the guns and then I did something stupid. George brought me to the camp and then--George.

I shot right up in my bed. The tent walls whirled around me but still, I stood up, only to fall back onto the bed. Head rush. I closed my eyes to make the vertigo go away. "She's awake," someone said. I heard them walking towards me and when I opened my eyes, the walls stayed in place.

Harry was there, as was Neville, Hermione, and a few others. "George?" was the first thing that left my mouth.

"Asleep," Hermione said. "So is your friend."

I didn't realize how heavy the weight I was carrying was until it lifted. "They're okay?" My voice broke. I could feel a prickling at my eyes but I gave everything I had to fight the tears back.

"Yes," she said with a reassuring smile. "For a minute there, we weren't sure but it all turned out. I'm sure you remember... That's when you, uh--"

"Passed out? Yeah, I've never done that before... Where are they?" I asked, standing up. Harry's hand caught my arm before I could take a step.

"We'll take you to see them but first we need to know what happened. How did they get shot?"

I sat back down. I knew they could see the shame on my face from the pity I could see in their eyes. I tried to ignore it. "Well...," I began. "Jackson did know how to get us guns but...they would only sell them to us if we bought all of them. We didn't have enough money but George said he could get us out safely with the guns. He said it would be easy. So we went...," I looked down at my hands. "The men there...they were so horrible. They refused to sell me the guns because of the way I looked. They said they couldn't take me seriously."