Chapter One

Swords clanged, men's battle cries, shouts of pain and generals desperately yelling out orders filled the battlefield. The Prince Caspian ignored it all, his gaze was trained on the warrior a mere ten paces from him.

General Jericho's flesh and blood will meet Caspian's sword today, the Prince swore to it the day Jericho impaled his father ten years ago in the battle for Ithsmus.

Caspian cut through men in his way toward revenge just as swiftly as Jericho struck down soldiers in his quest to becoming the greatest General the world has seen.

Caspian knew this battle was already lost to Jericho's army, Caspian's men almost no match for that of the Centuriums. At least he'd take their beloved General with him when he leaves this world. He'd cross the river Styx with Jericho at his side.

Running his sword through the Centurium soldier, Caspian struck at Jericho before his fallen opponent could hit the sand but Jericho proved to be the warrior Caspian has hated for the better part of his life.

Dodging the Prince's blade Jericho retaliated with a blow of his own catching Caspian on his upper left arm with the tip of his sword.

First blood, oh the battle was on as the Prince Caspian and the General Jericho's swords clashed like lightning and thunder in the sky, one after the other before a storm.

Caspian caught Jericho on the side of his head with the hilt of his sword seeming to catch the General off guard and the perfect opportunity presented itself. Prince Caspian thrust his blade and it was too late when he heard the voice he remembers well. Pulling his sword from his opponent's abdomen, the body falling flat on his back, Caspian removed the warrior's helmet.

The Prince's arms shook first, vomit at the back of his throat as he looked into the empty grey eyes.

All fighting seemed to cease and all sounds disappeared into silence as Prince Caspian dropped to his knees beside the warrior. Was it even right to call him a warrior? He was a boy, a mere child.

Caspian gently brushed the dirt covered hair away from the boy's forehead and placed a soft kiss to his temple. He couldn't be older than ten and seven years.

The prince looked at his own hands smeared with the blood of an innocent and with despair he looked up at the man that blocked the sunshine.

"Why? You monster" agony ripped apart Caspian's insides.

"A child General. He is a child!" Caspian screamed while Jericho just looked down at him, at the boy, his face devoid of any emotion.

"Why was he wearing your armor? Why did he move like you do?" Caspian had so many questions and accusations, insults to spit at the bastard but he really wanted the boy's name first.

"Who was he?" Caspian asked instead, his fingertips brushing down the boy's cheek; he had not even a beard yet.

"Artemis, the eldest heir to Centurium's throne" Jericho replied.

"I've doomed my people" Caspian whispered. Centurium would want revenge, Ithsmus would burn to the ground and they still would not be satisfied.

"Can you bargain on your King's behalf?" Caspian asked, only now looking around to see his entire army downed, a few of his men writhing in agony before Jericho's men put them out of their misery.

"Aye"

"If I relinquish my throne to your King would you let my people live?" Caspian's tear filled eyes met Jericho's.

"Aye" Jericho replied after a few moments of staring at Caspian.

Jericho found it strange, how this soldier who seemed as much a boy as Artemis was, looked so broken over taking a life.