Chapter 42 Oh, the Irony

"We are so stupid," Beo whispered as he squeezed me closer to his side. Tomorrow was the day he would become Tribe Leader, so this was our last hoorah.

I was laying on his bed one last time after our make out session, but I didn't feel peaceful. Instead I was laying on my back, staring up at the ceiling as dread and regret filled up my entire body. If I hadn't fought back, then I never would've met him, and maybe I should've done just that, so I could've avoided this heartache. I was going to give up this man, who meant the world to me, so I could give Tranquilia it's freedom. The right thing is never what I want to do, is it?

"Jupiter, did you fall asleep?" he whispered as he nuzzled closer to my neck. He had been more touchy lately, but I'm sure it's because he's scared. I would be too if I didn't have a choice on who I could marry.

But I guess none of us ever do.

"I'm still awake. Sorry, I'm just sleepy," I murmured in my best tired voice. I hated fooling him like this, but it was my -our- only chance. I felt like there was nothing else that I could do, so the lies easily flowed out of me as they always have.

He was quiet for a few moments, and then he kissed my neck a couple times. "I know I haven't said this enough, but Jupiter, you're amazing. Even if this doesn't work out for us, I want you to know that I will always wish that you could be my wife. Everything about you is so perfect to me: your smile, your eyes, your determination, even all of your stupid questions. I just can't get enough of you," he rambled into the darkness.

I remembered the day in the Control Room, just down the hall, when he said everything right. He made me believe that he would give me a better life, and I can see how that was never a possibility for me. Our poor heroine will never find true happiness. Now the love struck hero had his tongue tangled up worse than my thoughts. Even so, he had a wonderful way with words. "There's still a little bit of hope. Now, go to sleep. Tomorrow is a big day. I have training in the morning, and then it will be time for your initiation," I whispered and then I kissed his forehead

He kissed my lips goodnight, and in a few short minutes he began to snore, still holding me close. I wished he wasn't so cuddly because he was making this way too hard on me. It would be so easy for me to fall asleep in his arms, and forget about this whole stupid plan. It was never what I wanted to do anyways, I'm just trying to please everyone except myself. When his arms began to loosen, I wiggled out from his grasp because I knew this was the right thing to do. I told him I would leave as soon as he fell asleep, and he didn't put up much of a debate. Someone, possibly his dad or Daiki, would come get him in the morning, and I don't think hiding in the shower would work this time.

Quietly, I walked around his room, and then I got to my old dresser. He had a notebook sitting there, so I thumbed through the pages until I found the pass code that I wanted. Beo was too trusting of me, he told me he kept a lot of confidential information in one unsecured notebook to be ironic, but I wished I didn't have to betray him this way. I wish I could lay in his arms, but my wishes never come true.

I tried to close his door as quietly as possible, and then I listened as the automatic lock system clicked into place. They were serious about security; too bad I was out smarting them all. They weren't normally this trusting, but somehow I had weaseled into their Residence Halls. Daiki was the only one weary of me, but he was fast asleep in room next door. I could break into his room and murder him, but what would be the point?

Instead, I tiptoed down the hall, and stopped at the door to the Control Room. They had replaced the old, broken wood door with an uninviting metal one. I sucked in a deep breath, and typed in the pass code I stole from Beo. A small green light lit up the hall as the lock clicked. My hands were shaking as I crept into the stairwell, and let the door lock behind me. I wanted to hurry, but I knew I needed to be quiet as I climbed the stairs, wincing as one of the old floorboards creaked. Maybe they didn't renovate everything.

I remembered the day Daiki followed me up here; I was out of breath and tired of fighting. By the time Beo got up here, I had fully given up, so I did everything he told me. He was able to calm me down until I had completely forgotten about my mission. There was something about him, and I realized how much I would miss him as I stepped onto the last step.

Their Control Room was all buttons and flashing lights. Monitors were hung up on one wall, and I could see everything that was going on in the tribe. I gulped, but I hoped no one would be watching the footage anytime soon. Obviously, they hadn't because Beo and I have gotten away with a lot. I tried not to be distracted by this overwhelming update as I wandered over to the control panel underneath the monitors. The buttons lit up as soon as I ran my fingers across their perfectly polished service.

The book I had skimmed through in the library informed me about their high-tech system, but all of this seemed too real. I took in a deep breath, and starting typing on the computer. Tomorrow was going to change everything.