8. Redefining the Parameters

In a pair of light denim skinny overalls with one strap falling down to my bicep, I propped myself up on the edge of the worktable, eyes focused on the motherboard system in front of me. I've hurt my fingers twice already and my middle and index finger are soothing in my mouth from my saliva. Nothing nurses a motherboard shock more than my own mouth. My hair is half up in a bun while the rest stirs around when I move. Underneath my overalls I have on a gray tank top that shows off my glorious double D's but I don't care, I'm comfortable and I'm focused. I'm wearing my work boots and one is propped up on the worktable and the other is on the ground.

This is me and I like doing what I'm doing right now. I squinted, looking at the wires and spaces within the system. This is a tricky one because the paneling on the inside doesn't match up with the software I'm supposed to implant inside of it. I could literally throw this motherboard against the wall. Individually, the motherboard is great but the system the customer wants added to it is quite incompatible. I can make it work but I might lose some fingers and I would like to avoid that.

"Well, well, well, Jessica, you've always been a looker but there is something even more entrancing about you than before," Joe teased, walking from his station to mine. I rolled my eyes and he laughed. "Need a hand?"

"Sure, rather it be your fingers than mine that get shocked to nubs." I grinned and Joe laughed, stepping closer to me so that he could examine the motherboard too.

"You're going to implant an Optiplex 760 SFF into this—"

"BIOS and chipset driver? Yeah. It was highly requested except the Athlon processor doesn't like the SFF at all." I chewed on my bottom lip, slipping my hurt fingers from my mouth. I noticed how Joe didn't miss a second.

He cleared his throat, his red hair a little unruly on his head, skin pale, green eyes wide and attentive. "Well it's because the Athlon processor needs an AMD, Jessica."

I groaned in relief and irritation for not figuring that out myself. I've had a lot on my mind since leaving Collin's place this afternoon. "Shit, you're right. I attach the AMD then the Athlon will accept the SFF which the—"

"BIOS and chipset drive will be eager to receive, yes."

"Thanks, Joe."

"Sure." He smiled gloriously as I slid my leg down from the worktable and headed for the red drawers for an AMD. "What gives? You last week would have never failed to miss that. You'd have been done in ten minutes."

I flinched. I don't need a reminder that since a demon has imparted on my dreams that I am literally falling apart. I'm paler than ever and more confused than I need to be. I shrugged, doing my best not to make eye contact, finding the AMD and heading back to the worktable. "Oversight on my part."

"Jessica making an oversight?"

"Joe, fuck off," I scoffed.

"Get laid sometime, Jessica. You're cracking at the seams." Joe laughed and I turned around to give him a glare worthy of an Oscar. "Relax."

"Look, thanks for the help with the AMD but you really need to get away from me." Sex is the least of my problems. Having the first demon being the one sexing you up...now that's a real problem.

"Alright. You look hot today, by the way." I stared at him until he became a blur. "I'm going!" He headed back for his own workstation and I updated the hell out of the BIOS and chipset, admiring the finished motherboard.