Chapter 12

Shadepaw was resting on  the island sand, tired as ever. It was the middle of the night, and the mark of the first quarter moon. Echodusk left him alone for four days, and now she comes up. But her eyes also looked tired.

   The apprentice stood up,"Great! Now I'll fail."

   Echodusk came up to him,"I'm sorry. I stayed longer then expected."

   Shadepaw sighed, and moved a mouse over to her. She quietly ate.

   Silverpelt still has never been seen yet. Shadepaw thought quietly about the reason until a paw prodded him in the side,"We should get going."

   He turned around to the frantic Echodusk in confusion,"Why? We just got here. Well, you just got here."

   "We can't afford to stay!" She whispered harshly.

   "You need to rest!" Shadepaw replied, louder.

   Echodusk was about to object when they heard a hissing sound from the other side of the island. They looked to see what it was, and were dismayed to find a large, muscled, brown tabby tom with blue eyes. One side of his muzzle was torn up, and scars mingled with his fur.

   "What do you think you're doing here?!" He hissed again, fur bristling.

   Shadepaw toughened up and walked right into the cat's face,"We're just resting," He said despotically. 

   The cat hissed and swiped his paw hard against Shadepaw. The blow seemed to hit him like a monster as he flew across the island and fell on his side, heaving.

   "You mouse-brain!" The cat turned to look at Echodusk,"What a pretty missy aren't you? You're still not welcome here," A growl rumbled in his throat.

   "Oh, Torn-Fur, we are sorry to intrude, we were going to leave right away," Echodusk said nervously.

   "Well then," He had a soft look in his eyes which quickly turned into hatred,"GET GOING!" He jumped forward, in close enough range to swipe at her.

   Echodusk quickly ran to Shadepaw and whispered in his ear.

   Shadepaw stood straight up,"No! I am not leaving without a fight!"

   Torn-Fur's ear pricked up. Shadepaw glared at him, a hiss rumbled his throat. Then as fast as a bolt of lightning, he ran towards Torn-Fur. Claws slashing sides, hisses covering the clearing.

   They were a huge ball of tumbling fur and splattered blood until Torn-Fur was tossed from the fight. Both toms were in a hunting crouch about seven tail-lengths from each other. Torn-fur was missing even more of his fur, scratches covered his face and body. Shadepaw on the other hand had fewer scratches, and less fur was missing.

   Torn-fur took Shadepaw's position as a battle break, and lunged towards him. Shadepaw stepped aside and Torn-fur widened his eyes as he hit a boulder, head-first.

   Shadepaw glared at the cat, bloody and head-split. It felt good to sink his claws into guilty flesh. Torn-fur had obviously killed innocent cats, and now Shadepaw made him pay for it.

   Echodusk ran up to him,"You-you killed  him!"

   Shadepaw turned towards the water, "He deserved it."

  Echodusk said nothing as they walked to the water, and dipped in. They were silent for the rest of the swim.