Chapter 21

His  paws were the only thing he could steady. Leafbare was strong, and it was getting stronger by the day. Shadow narrowed his eyes as he looked through the blizzard over his shivering clan. They all huddled in groups, using their fur and body heat to warm each other.

   His gaze drifted over to where the nursery was. It carried this feeling of darkness like ghosts seemed to haunt it. It had always felt this way since the cold took Meadow Flower and her future kits. Shadow was devastated to see how deep Moon's grief was. His hunting and fighting skills had dimmed, and now he'd barely eat. He always refused the shelter of other cats, as he slept outside the nursery where he believed that Meadow Flower's spirit remained.

   "She's with her sister now," Shadow had tried to make Moon happier the other day.

   "But not with me," Moon whined.

   Shadow was silenced by the eerie feeling that drifted over the room.

   "She's gone, and I've still got so much longer until I see her again. Why did Branch bring us up here? If it wasn't for him, Meadow Flower, and our kits would be healthy and well!" Moon had dug his claws into the ground.

   Taken back by Moon's sharpness toward their former leader, Shadow sighed. He realized that Moon was only grief-stricken.

   Shadow rested his tail on his friend's shoulder, "Don't worry. Don't fret over her forever, she wouldn't want that would she? She wants you to protect ShadowClan, for the sake of unborn kits." He'd nodded to Lightning Bolt and Sleek Shadow.

   Shadow sighed as he sat up on the rock. He couldn't lead his Clan to fight the other Clans now, not in this weather. Maybe he should at least wait till it calms down, then they will train and prepare to take down RainClan. He trusted Lightning Bolt to take over. And Moon would take over GloomClan. Shadow would take over LightningClan and BreezeClan. The plan would work, he was sure of it.

~~~

   Lurking Shadow waited for a quarter-moon, that was when the snow eased and eventually stopped. A thick blanket of snow covered the ground where he sat as he nibbled on a scrawny half-eaten mouse. The mouse had been saved for Small Screw, who was slowly dying from blackcough. She only managed to eat half of it before she was too weak to move, coughs shattering her skinny body. She slept all day, and Whisper had to feed her and give her water. Small Screw was only getting worse.

   Shadow didn't care that he might get sick from the mouse. He knew he wouldn't die, he knew only that he needed whatever was left of the prey to help lead his cats into battle. He'd seen that they are trained well enough, and now today they would take over RainClan.

~~~

   Marsh squished under their paws as they brushed past reeds, Shadow in the lead. Moon and whisper behind him. Whisper had formed a strong bond with Shadow, he was loyal and young, always ready to help out.

   The reek of RainClan hit them like a monster, it's disgusting scent seemed to bathe other scents. This would be difficult, but ShadowClan would pull through as always. 

   "Lightning Bolt and Sleek Shadow run in, tell them you come in peace and stay there a while, signal us at a good time so we can catch them off guard." Shadow had forced Lightning Bolt and Sleek Shadow to starve so they'd look skinny and helpless for the plot, but the two never stopped training for this day. They nodded and padded through the marsh trying their best to look like helpless kits.

   The Clan waited until Whisper came back from spying, "It seems RainClan accepted them, they're both eating fish." His voice trailed off at the word 'fish'.

   Some of the cats murmured in disgust that they were eating fish, but Shadow only assumed they were doing so to fit in. As everyone thought about how gross fish were, the murmuring was cut off as a yowl pierced through the territory. Shadow nodded to his sides, and they all crept in until they were just about to enter the camp. 

   RainClan was staring at Lightning Bolt, who was looking terrified at the half-eaten fish, "I, I think it's poisoned! Are you trying to poison us?!"

   An apprentice walked up curiously, "We haven't had a fish sickness since father was a kit! Are you sure?" He sniffed the fish.

   "Yes, I'm pretty sure," Lightning Bolt replied, still looking terrified. His ear twitched.

   Shadow dropped into a crouch, all others imitated, "Attack," He murmured.

   Everyone jumped out of the thick brush and jumped onto an opponent, surprised yowls filling the air. Shadow lurked within the bushes, eyeing his warriors. They dodged skillfully and attacking with hard, swift blows. He winced as Whisper faltered a slide to the side, letting the RainClan tom attack him in the flanks. Shadow looked over to where Lightning Bolt and Sleek Shadow stood still, trying to still look frightened, but Sleek Shadow wasn't looking at the fight she was staring at the curious apprentice who'd sniff their fish.

   He was limp. Blood oozing out of severe wounds and his mouth. Shadow felt some sympathy but moved on. This Clan will be his.