Chapter 19

Shadow growled, his fur bristled as the scent of intruder engulfed him. The scent was familiar, similar to his own, but he paid no attention to it. An intruder was an intruder. His job was to teach them a lesson, or if they refused, kill them.

   "Come out cowardly furball!" He yowled.

   A voice replied, but was close to silent as the wind roared, "Cowardly? Look who's talking! You won't even come in after me!"

   Shadow tensed, how dare this cat insult him! "Show yourself!"

   "Alright, scaredy-cat!" A white tom flecked with gray appeared from the brush. His eyes widened as he saw Shadow.

   Shadow bunched up his shoulders and fluffed out his fur against the cold, "Ha! Look who's scared now!" He unsheathed his claws waiting for another retort: But the intruder stood still, his eyes still fixed on Shadow.

   He growled, "What are you staring at, intruder?"

   The tom gulped, he parted his jaws ever so slightly, words coming out barely a whisper, "S-Shadepaw?"

   Shadow flicked his ear, irritated, "Excuse me, what?"

   This time, the tom spoke louder, "Shadepaw? Is that... really you?"

   Shadepaw? Shadow growled, that was the name for his weak self, he wasn't weak anymore, he was as strong as the strongest badger! "I'm Lurking Shadow, Shadepaw is no more!"

   "Shadepaw! Why are you being so arrogant?" The tom mumbled quietly to himself, "I guess I should expect that.."

   "Tell me your name, intruder!"

   "First of all, I am not an intruder, I am currently in my own territory. Second of all, don't you even recognize me, brother?"

   Shadow's jaw seemed to unhinge. Did he just say, brother? That can't be... Shadow didn't have a brother!

   "I believe you're mistaken, I have no brother." 

   "I believe you do, littermate."

   He growled, dropped into a crouch and pounced on the intruder, his long claws digging into flesh, the feeling made him smile but it quickly dropped into a frown.

   "Tell me your name or you will pay for your ignorance!"

   He chuckled, which swiftly turned into a whimper as Shadow tightened his grip, "M--Moss.. Mosspelt," He choked out.

   "Moss" rang a bell, Shadow loosened his grip and his eyes widened as everything surged back into him.

   His encounter with a ShadowClan apprentice.

   Wavestar's death.

   Jaywhisker's death..

   His accusation towards Mosspaw..

   He was pushed down a gorge by.. by Stormfur.

   Meeting Raven..

   "M..Mosspaw?" He shuddered, tears welled up in his eyes.

   Mosspelt's gaze was welcoming, "Yes?"

   Shadow rid his grip completely and backed up, "I... I'm sorry, I didn't remember you!" His voice softened, his shoulders relaxed, he felt so small.

   "It's fine... So much has happened since you left, come back, please?" Mosspelt's eyes were saddened, longing for the true return of his brother.

   Lurking Shadow thought to himself. Oh, how much he wished to go back to his brother. But how would Branch react? He couldn't leave just like that. And what about Moon? Surely they became friends on their long trek here...

   "I can't," Shadow whispered softly.

   "W-why?" Mosspelt shuffled his paws.

   "I belong somewhere else for now," Shadow gulped and turned tail back towards camp. Leaving his brother in silence behind him.

~~~

   It was a burden on his shoulders. Every day, he thought about his encounter with his brother. No matter what happened the burden wasn't lifted. And now he was stuck with a she-cat who loved him, yet he didn't love her back...

   "Lurking Shadow, can't we at least try, please?"

   He sighed, "Starling Wing, we can't. I... I.." He choked on his own words.

   "I don't love you, Starling," He murmured.

    She gasped and started backing up, "But... but what about earlier?!"

   Shadow's attitude took a sharp turn, "It was only because I didn't want to hurt you! I, I've hurt too many cats! But I can't keep it from you anymore Starling! I. Don't!. Love you! There are better toms out there for you!"

   "No there isn't! All the other tom's here are cowards, you were the only one who remained strong through the sickness that rang through camp a moon ago!"

   Would she ever shut up? He growled but it turned into a smile, "Follow me."

   She purred, thinking the fight was over and leaped behind him. The walked into a spot where Shadow loved to sunbathe.

   "Now sit," He ordered.

   "Okay..."

   As she sat, he lunged forward, his eyes wild, claws outstretched, teeth aiming for her throat. Starling's eyes widened and tried to skid away, but Shadow grabbed her in time and sunk his teeth into her throat and shook his head side to side, causing her flesh to rip and shred. He let go  and stared at the lifeless body.

   "That'll teach you."