KILLING ME SOFTLY - Teenage Assassin - Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3:

ANNABELLE'S POV:

That was actually funny. The look of shock on Gabriel's face when I pretended not to remember him from the club was hilarious. I've read his file and I know that he is quite the ladies man. I bet that's never happened to him before. Even if he wasn't connected to the job, I'd remember him.

I'm not stupid. I know that what I'm feeling for him is attraction. Not that it matters, because it's not like I've never been attracted to a male before. I'm usually in one place for such a short amount of time that I have learned to just brush off any attraction or interest I feel. In my profession, there is no time for something as trivial as a relationship.

Simon taught Jackson and me to only rely on ourselves. He said that our parents' love for each other was a weakness and that weakness is what got them killed. Despite what Simon taught us, I do love my brother and I would trust him with my life. However, I am not stupid enough to rely that deeply on any other man, including Simon.

I already scoped out the school last Saturday night. I have memorized all of the exits, classroom locations, teachers and staff. I left weapons in hiding places throughout the place, just in case. I broke into the office to schedule all of my classes with either Gabriel or Max. They don't have any classes together, but I have all of my morning classes with Max and all of my afternoon classes with Gabriel.

We're halfway through the semester, and from the research that I've done on high school, I can assume that the one or more teachers will make me stand in the front of the class to 'introduce' myself. I wouldn't have had this extra task, in a school this large, if I had started at the beginning of the school year. I plan to make this work for me, though.

As I'm walking to my first class, someone starts walking alongside me. I don't even have to turn my head to know that it's Max. Even in a crowd like this, it would be hard for someone untrained to sneak up on me without me knowing it.

I don't say anything. Let him talk first, "Hey, you're new, right?"

I still don't look at him, "Yes, I am."

"Do you need help finding your first class?" he asks.

I stop and turn to look at him. I give him a calculated, warm smile, "That'd be great." I glance up and down in an obvious way of checking him out. I have to admit he is hot. He is wearing jeans, Converse and a shirt from the band 'The Bravery'. He has a more casual look than Gabriel, who is wearing expensive designer jeans and a button up shirt and boots.

He notices my perusal and smiles back like I just made his day as I hand him my schedule. He looks it over, "Hey! We have all the same classes before lunch!"

Surprise, surprise. "Really?" I say.

He looks back up at me, "Yes. That means I can show you to your first four classes."

"Lucky me," I say and we start walking again. I pretend that I am following his lead.

"Here we are," he says and motions for me to walk in ahead of him.

But, before I do, I look over my shoulder to where Gabriel has been following us. I give him a big smile and wink, just like I did at the club. Gabriel's eyes go wide. Max is oblivious to the little exchange. I walk into the classroom and ask Max, "Are there assigned seats?"

He smiles at me and says, "No, so you can sit by me."

"Lead the way," I tell him.

We take two seats in the back and he asks me, "Were you at a club on Friday night, called 'Cameo'? I thought I saw someone who looks like you."