Chapter 8

"This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted." – C.S. Lewis

"Where is it as cold as ice?" Thomas asks himself out loud.

"I don't know. Maybe we can ask Mr. Tumnus for help?" Macy suggests.

"Mr. Who?"

"Tumnus. He gave me my shoes. He was very friendly."

"Okay, let's go to a shoemaker, I'm sure all will be fine then," he scoffs.

"What else do you want to do? Just stand here and wait?"

Thomas shrugs. 

"At least I have a plan, can't say the same about you."

"Fine. We'll go to the shoemaker."

Macy tries to remember how to get back to Mr. Tumnus, but it's harder than she expected. Every time she feels like she should go a certain direction, but it was the opposite one in her memory.

"I think we have to go this way," Macy says. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," Macy lies, but when they arrive at an open field, she knows she was wrong. She's never been here before.

"Are we there yet?" Thomas asks impatiently.

"I— I think we went the wrong way."

"That's just great," Thomas sighs.

"You should be nicer to me. I'm helping you to find her."

"Oh, come on. Don't pretend like you don't want to find your best friend as much as I do."

"My what?"

Thomas looks at her in surprise. "Amanda told me you are her best friend." Then it hits him. "Of course, you've lost your memory too, didn't you?"

Macy's eyes grow in astonishment. "She's got her memory back? And I am her best friend? Is that what she told you?" 

Thomas nods. "I could tell you more, but it might be a good idea to find a hiding place first."

"You're right," Macy agrees. She looks around to find a good hiding place, but jumps when she suddenly sees someone walking behind the trees. "Did you see that?"

"See what?"

"I think that's—" Macy takes an extra good look. "Aslan? Aslan, is that you?" She runs towards the lion as fast as she can.

"Macy," Aslan says. "I can see you listened to me."

Macy looks at the lion in admiration. "Y-yes, I did."

"Now I tell you to wait here."

"Wait? For what?"

"Macy, what are you doing?" Thomas asks, as he appears from behind a tree.

"I'm talking to Aslan, as you can see." Macy points at the lion, but Thomas can't see Him. 

"I don't see anyone?"

Macy turns around in surprise to see Aslan has already disappeared. "He was here a moment ago and he told me to wait here."

"Wait? For what? Until Amanda is frozen to death?"

"I don't know, but I'm sure He's got a good reason."

Thomas rolls his eyes in annoyance. "Macy, there wasn't anyone. I would have seen Him if there was."