The Job

A secret intended for or understood by only an initial few; esoteric. A secret, something done, made, or kept in hiding. But how exactly do you know which secret is the one that will kill you?

Chapter 1: The Job

"Mace, I didn't think I see you again after Marilyn came home," I said though I didn't understand the words felt right.  

"Desi, I love you, and I never meant to hurt you," He looked hurt by my words I didn't mean to hurt him because I felt it too when we touched, but he wasn't mine. He was hers, the enemy, Marilyn Hampshire, Hollywood scarlet from age 8. "Kiss me; if you still love me kiss me."

Once the words left his mouth I felt my body moving towards him. My tears dried as I leaned in closer. I felt his body heat as my body molded against his. In that moment everything was perfect. Everything was whole. I closed my eyes and let myself be lost in the moment his breath now on my face, seconds from my first kiss.

"Odessa Alexandra Smith, if you don't get up now you're gonna lose your job. And then you'll never meet Mace Maxwell," Annalisa, my noisy eight year old sister practically screamed 5 inches away from my ear.  

"Get out! Now! I don't even work today," I screamed making her take a step back. 

"Uh-Huh Mommy told me to tell you that Scott called and needs you in the office this morning."

And with that she left my room in a rush, probably expecting a piss-off me to run yelling down the stairs. But what else did I have to live for if I keep my job I at least have the chance of meeting Mace Maxwell and him dumping Miss Perfect Marilyn for little ole me then we'll live happily ever after. . . at least I hope.

But in case you're wondering I work for Scott Maverick, or rather he works for me. I am one of many models at one of the top companies, It (I know the name sounds so cliché). Scott is my manager and apparently he needs me on my one day off from work this week so instead of catching up on much needed sleep I'm spending my Saturday morning riding the 4 train from Utica to 14th street to Scott's personal office. (And in case you don't know New York that well, that's about 30 minutes, but when you're running on half an au bon pain bagel and hot tea no sugar, which by the way I would get killed for if anyone ever found out that I ate from one of the most unhealthy delicious bakeries in all of New York, 30 minutes might as well be 4 hours.)

"Dess, where have you been," Scott questioned as if he was called into the office after being forced (not that it was painful) to stay at Rachel Behan's, one of the most publically known party girl-heiress and also one of my best friends, birthday party. "Forget it; it's not that important all that matters is you're here now. Ok so we need to get you to 7th avenue . . . because someone has a casting call for Jungle Fever.

Before I could even respond he had already pushed me out off his office and into the elevator. OMFG!!! I cannot believe it I'm going to meet Mace Maxwell at a casting call. I've been waiting my whole life (or since I first saw him last summer at Rachel's mid-summer bash, it was masquerade and awesome if I may add) for this moment. I think I'm gonna faint.

"Scott," he turned to acknowledge me, "I don't feel too well," I stammered out.

"Make it happen," he shouted into the receiver, "Odessa, sweetie, listen to me this will make or break you. I know you love the idea of Mace but remember he's just another stepping stone all you need to do be pretty he's always been one to fall for a pretty face. Oh and one more thing he's a jerk so I'm hoping you're not one of those girls who want to be swept off their feet by him."

Way to crush a dream Scott I mentally screamed hoping he'd pick up on the change in my aura. I looked down wondering if really am that easy to see through or is this just because Scott's known me since I was five.