Pilot Errors

Pilot Errors

That night I dreamt of death; none other than my own. I was on an island with a man who in my heart I knew I loved but, in the end my love couldn’t save me from his rage. His vicious eyes stared into me not as his lover but as a stranger, a stranger that could afford to be sacrificed. He moved towards me into the light and though, I was terrified of the things that must be going on in his head I couldn’t help but feel relieved that I would die now and not have to live another moment knowing his love for me was long forgotten.  

I awoke still slightly shaken. The worst part about dreaming of your demise is not seeing the end not knowing whether it ended with death or life, not know who my lover was, and not knowing what it was I had done to put that hate into his eyes. Why had he rejected me? Why had he decided that I didn’t even deserve to live without him? 

I tried my hardest to push those thoughts into the forgotten depths of my brain, while getting ready to face Mace and Scott. After the two hours it had taken me to stuff everything back into my suitcase and make sure none of my souvenirs got left behind, I was standing outside of the hotel in cut up denim shorts and a black shirt that read ‘I love you but you’re boring’, while the arrogant Mace Maxwell stood silently looking me up and down with a content smile pasted on his face.  

When the limo arrived, we drove to a private airport because Mace had a meeting he couldn’t afford to miss. At the airport, there was a note waiting for me. It said, ‘Sorry I can’t make the flight back with you and lover boy. Be careful, Scott.’ So apparently I’m on my own; just me and Mace in a small jet alone with only the pilots. 

Because we were flying on a private jet we didn’t go through the hassle of baggage claim or have to throw away our drinks. If only somebody told me ahead of time I would’ve gotten some of that perfume they were selling in the hotels gift shop. 

We took off and Mace still hadn’t said anything to me he just observed (stared) quietly (hard). I tried to ignore him but he wouldn’t give it a rest; he continued to stare as if I were a Martian. 

“Yes, Mace,” I said hoping he would retreat. 

“I don’t recall asking a question, Desi. You don’t mind if I call you that do you?” He stole the nickname straight out of my dreams. A name for only me, from only him. 

“Then why do you keep staring? Just tell me I’m gorgeous so we can move on,” I replied without thinking. 

He chuckled. “Funny, but I was just wondering what makes you so,” He paused and looked out of the window. 

I should’ve dropped it but being me I had to know. “So what?” 

He looked up slightly confused. “You were wondering what made me so,” I said answering his unasked question. 

“Oh nothing. Don’t want to offend you.” And just like that he dismissed me. 

In an attempt to ignore the spark of curiosity Mace just caused, I turned to face the window to my right. As I drifted I tried to think happy thoughts. 

In my dream there was a boy, a tall boy with a golden tan, a flaxen hair, and clear blue eyes. I stood in between him and Mace there accusing eyes pointed squarely at each other. The sun shone bright over us while the waves noisily crashed onto the shore. The palm trees stood a good 20 feet from the shore denying them any chance of shade, though the boys didn’t seem to notice. 

“I am king here!” The boy exclaimed, demanding to be acknowledged, “And I will have none other than her as my queen. Follow me into the jungle, love.” 

As he spoke the words I could feel his desperation and Mace’s will to fight. I glanced towards the jungle, and it appeared that we weren’t the only ones here on this island several pairs of eyes looked onto our exchange. I felt Mace’s arms as they slipped around my waist. I looked up to see his eyes pleading with me. Stay they called stay with me and we’ll find a way out of this. Just you and me. 

“Desi,” I awoke to the sound of my name. “Buckle up, babe; it’s gonna be one hell of a ride.” 

Extreme turbulence violently shook the plane. It seems we rolled into an unpredicted storm. Mace tried hard to steady himself by gripping the armrest on either side of him. I was still slightly in a haze from awakening in such a hurry. In an attempt to locate my seatbelt I hit my head on the window and everything went black. 

“Desi. Desi, are you ok?” I woke up with black spot blurring the vision. “Desi, sweetheart I need you to get up? Can you do that for me?” His voice was sincere and filled with worry.  

As the black spots faded from my vision, I saw Mace’s face and at that moment in time he was anything but arrogant. Seeing that I was awake, Mace took that as his cue to lift me out of my seat and carry me to the front of the plane. He paused in front of the pilot’s cabin probably wondering if they were ok or not. Slowly and gently he set me down beside him. Mace put his hand on the door knob. He swiftly stepped in closing the door behind him, leaving outside by myself.  

Not liking the fact that he thought I couldn’t take care of myself I yanked open the door to see. The captain’s head suck within the windshield. Half in half out. While the co-captain was shaking violently on the floor, I was on the verge of tears. I turned and in my haste tripped and hit my head on the door. Mace turned from what he was doing to attend to me, but this time he didn’t let me stay in plane he walked me all the way out the door and onto the sand. I gazed upon our new location, sand, trees, and water.  

“What now,” I asked Mace hoping he knew. 

Instead of answering with words, he bent down to sit beside me and wrapped his arms around me then planted a soft kiss upon my forehead.  

“I’m open to suggestions.” 

I turned my head to the left and spotted a pair of clear blue eyes staring back at and once I blinked they were gone.

Ok so yea that was the third chapter. No one has yet to tell me if I should become a teacher. Promise it won’t hurt my feelings too bad. But anyways votes comment and fans are welcome if not demanded. I know it short but I didn’t want to add too much unnecessary things and lose you guys. So yea . . .