chapter five: [not without trying]

"One of the hardest things you will ever have to do, my dear, is to grieve the loss of a person who is still alive."

          Indigo's POV

   I leaned against a metal table, watching as Dr. Deaton prepped a needle for the puppy on the center table, testing it.

"It's not gonna hurt him, is it?" The guy asked, the one who owned the dog. Deaton only smiled, saying "only a little" and put the needle into the dog's neck. The guy winced to himself, making Deaton chuckle.

"But I usually find that it's owners- who feel the most pain."

  He pulled away the needle, letting Scott pick the dog up and set him on the ground as the client crouched down.

"All right." Deaton sighed. "Well, we'll just check the stool samples for parasites, but my guess it that he probably just ate something he shouldn't have."

Scott began to pet the dog, smiling as it immediately warmed up to him. He twisted the collar around, looking at the tag, the word Bullet in bold letters.

   "Got a cool name." He looked to the owner, who grinned and nodded.

"He's got two brothers at home named Beretta and Trigger. Military family." He shrugged.

The dog rolled under Scott's hand, laying on its back as it continued to let him scratch the fur.

   "Looks like he knows who the Alpha is." The owner chuckled. Scott froze, before giving him an awkward nod.

   Eventually, the owner took his dog back out to the car, leaving us as Deaton told Scott to clean the dish he had put samples from the dog in. Scott picked up something with some form of tweezers, furrowing his eyebrows at it.

   "Hey, found something." He called to Deaton. Deaton walked over and looked at it.

"Rinse it off."

    Scott took a small bottle and squirted water, washing off everything, to show a small white sphere.

"What is it?" Scott looked up to Deaton.

     "Definitely poisonous to the dog. Actually, for you as well." Deaton nodded.

"Wolfsbane?" Scott raised his eyebrows. Deaton shook his head slightly.

   "Mistletoe."

×

    Cleaning the veterinarian table was not what I signed up for when I said yes to hanging out with Scott since he had a late shift. But here I was, doing yet another favor for this boy.