chapter eleven: [laying low]

"I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve."

   Indigo was trying to contain herself in the open area. Other patients wandered around her in the courtyard, their slippers dragging across the concrete as they mindlessly shuffled around. Indigo watched, confused. She was at least glad she was mentally stable enough to know she wasn't crazy.

     Completely.

    Sitting on the bench, her legs coating the rest of the area so no one else could sit with her, she relaxed in the outside air. The stuffy AC inside wasn't enough to calm her down from last night's rampage.

  She was a little tired, but that was mostly because she didn't fall asleep. She didn't want to. Those visions were horrible. She felt vulnerable when she had them.

     "I didn't do it."

   Indigo looked up, seeing a girl, her hands clasped in front of her chest as she stared at her. With a raised eyebrow, Indigo cautiously nodded.

"Yeah. . ." She hummed. "Okay."

     "I didn't do it." The woman repeated.

"I get it." Indigo scoffed, shutting her eyes with a sigh.

       "I didn't do it."

    Indigo clenched her jaw when she looked to the woman this time, flashing her fluorescent green eyes. The woman's eyes widened in shock, before she stumbled away, shaking.

    Indigo rolled her eyes, flickering them back to their normal brown. Her ears caught the loud buzz that echoed outside, letting us know it was time to go back in to their rooms. Some guards had to come out and guide patients to their own rooms, whilst most patients hurried back to closed doors.

    Indigo stood up and walked to the door, passing the creeps that mumbled things. God, would she do anything to get out of here, she thought.

  She was halfway to her room, when she caught a woman. A familiar woman, in fact, walking down the hall.

    Morrell.

 Her eyebrows cinched in anger, and before she even thought about it, her feet where rushing her towards her. Speedily, she grabbed Morrell by the back of the neck and threw her to the wall, holding her up hostage. Her eyes only sparked for a split second.

   "Indigo. . ." She hummed, looking down to her uncomfortably.

"So, you remember? You remember what you did to me?" Indigo scoffed, letting her claws grow, but not yet scrape Morrell's throat.

    "If you're thinking about killing me, go ahead. But you're only digging yourself deeper in this hell hole." Morrell calmly snapped, keeping her eyes directly in match with Indigo's.

       Tempted by the idea, Indigo wondered.

   "What are you talking about?" She snapped, pressing rougher against her throat for a moment. Morrell cleared her throat roughly, trying to take a deep breath.